1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic Motion amplitude problem

1. Mar 1, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An object is undergoing simple harmonic motion with frequency f = 3.1 Hz and an amplitude of 0.15 m. At t = 0.00 s the object is at x = 0.00 m. How long does it take the object to go from x = 0.00 m to x = 7.00×10-2 m.

2. Relevant equations

x(t)=Asin(ωt)

3. The attempt at a solution

The correct answer is 2.49*10-2sec

ω=2[itex]\pi[/itex]f=6.2[itex]\pi[/itex]
    so, i set the following equation: 0.07=0.15sin(6.2[itex]\pi[/itex]t)
    but i can not solve it without the solving capabilities of a graphics calulator, so i cant use this method.

i then set up a similar equation using small angle approximation but in order to get it to the right accuracy i need to include the second term (ie sinθ=θ - θ3/6
    but this then turns it into a cubic function (which i dont have the level of math to solve)

Is there a different way to go about this question that i am missing?

thank you in advance, Michael.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need a simple scientific calculator only. What is sin(6.2πt)? With inverse sine, (and setting the calculator to radian mode), get the angle θ=6.2πt.

ehild

4. Mar 1, 2014 #3
    Thank you for the quick reply ehild.

Wow, i cant believe i forgot about the inverse sine function on the normal calculators xD
    thanks alot!

5. Mar 1, 2014 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are welcome:smile:

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted