1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic Motion and Elasticity

1. Jul 31, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 0.01 kg bullet is fired horizontally into a 2.50 kg wooden block attached to one end of a massless, horizontal spring (spring constant = 845 N/m). The other end of the spring is fixed in place, and the spring is unstrained initially. The block rests on a horizontal, frictionless surface. The bullet strikes the block perpendicularly and quickly comes to a halt within it. As a result of this completely inelastic collision, the spring is compressed along its axis and causes the block/bullet to oscillate with an amplitude of 0.200 m.
    What is the speed of the bullet?

2. Relevant equations
    I only wish I knew...

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'd love to try this problem, since it is for extra credit, if anyone has any suggestions...

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2009 #2
    Wow, sorry if you read all that, but I didn't realize the teacher changed the EC question. We aren't doing that one anymore luckily.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook