1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic Motion and equilibrium of springs

1. Jun 9, 2017 #1
    The figure below shows a system in equillibrium. The pulley and the springs (both with constants "k") are ideal. The period of oscillation of the mass A is given by:

h32wpSU.png
    SE8FBui.png
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Relevant equations:

F = -kx (SHM)

I tried to do a "force diagram" and set up some geometric relations but it´s not working.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi,

You can start with discarding the answers that have the wrong dimension.
    Your relevant equation needs a few colleagues: at least one with a dimension of time.
    Would you know how the period for a simple mass hanging from a spring comes about ?
    What is the restoring force for a disturbance from equilibrium in your system ?

Oh, and I notice you haven't been welcomed, so here goes:
    Hello Mateus, :welcome: !

4. Jun 9, 2017 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Please show the details of what you have tried.

5. Jun 9, 2017 #4
    Thank you but no answer has a wrong dimension, cause they are all in the form of a constant*root(m/k), which is correct!

6. Jun 9, 2017 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oops, so that doesn't help. Now how about the 'combined' spring constant ? What is the restoring force if I pull down the mass over a small distance ##x## ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted