Simple harmonic motion and friction

In summary: So what would be the corresponding value of A?In summary, the problem involves a block executing horizontal simple harmonic motion with a frequency of 1.5 Hz. The block has a coefficient of static friction of 0.60 and another block resting on top of it. The maximum amplitude of oscillation for the system can be found using the equation A = μsg/4π^2f^2, which comes out to be 0.662 m. This can be derived by considering the maximum friction force allowed to be equal to the maximum acceleration of the block, which is given by a = -4π^2f^2Acos(2πft + φ). By equating this to 1, the maximum
XxBollWeevilx

Homework Statement

A large block P executes horizontal simple harmonic motion by sliding across a frictionless surface with a frequency f = 1.5 Hz. Block B rests on it, and the coefficient of static friction between the two is [tex]\mu_s=0.60[/tex]. What maximum amplitude of oscillation can the system have if the block is not to slip?

Homework Equations

[tex]F=-kx=ma[/tex]

[tex]a=-\frac{k}{m}x[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not positive that i need the equations above, but I do know that the amplitude will be given by [tex]\frac{\mu_sg}{4\pi^2f^2}[/tex] according to the textbook answer. The numerical value comes out to be 0.662 m. But I'm not sure how to associate the forces with the harmonic motion exactly. I was thinking that somehow the force must not be greater than than [tex]\mu_smg[/tex] since that is what the maximum friction force allowed would be. But I'm not sure if I need to work with the motion equations for harmonic motion or if I need to use some method involving the period, forces, etc. Any pointer in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose that my two biggest things that I can't get straight in my mind are where does the pi come from, and why is there no k needed to find the answer. Also, there should be an exponent of 2 on the pi in the denominator, sorry about that.

Given the amplitude and frequency of the motion you can figure out the maximum acceleration of the block, a. Then set F=ma=mu*m*g, right? Since the frictional force must produce the needed acceleration or the block will slide.

XxBollWeevilx said:
I suppose that my two biggest things that I can't get straight in my mind are where does the pi come from, and why is there no k needed to find the answer. Also, there should be an exponent of 2 on the pi in the denominator, sorry about that.

The displacement d(t)=A*sin(2*pi*f*t) is an equation for simple harmonic motion. To get the acceleration you need to differentiate it twice. Can you see where the 4*pi^2 might come from?

I see...but I don't have an amplitude, I need to find the maximum amplitude. I do see how the friction force is equal to ma though.

Just call the amplitude 'A'. What is the maximum acceleration of d(t)=A*sin(2*pi*f*t)?

In my book, it says that [tex]a=-\omega^2Acos(\omegat+\phi)[/tex]

So if I put in 2*pi*f for w, I get

[tex]a=-4\pi^2f^2Acos(2ft\pi+\phi)[/tex]

OK, thanks now I can see where those quantities come from. OK, so the frictional force must not be greater than an acceleration given by this, right? I think I'm getting it now.

[tex]ma=\mu_smg[/tex] reduces to

[tex]\mu_smg=a[/tex]

I think I need to subsitute something in for a, would I put in the whole quantity above that I wrote?

Last edited:
XxBollWeevilx said:
In my book, it says that [tex]a=-\omega^2Acos(\omegat+\phi)[/tex]

So if I put in 2*pi*f for w, I get

[tex]a=-4\pi^2f^2Acos(2ft\pi+\phi)[/tex]

OK, thanks now I can see where those quantities come from. OK, so the frictional force must not be greater than an acceleration given by this, right? I think I'm getting it now.

[tex]ma=\mu_smg[/tex] reduces to

[tex]\mu_smg=a[/tex]

I think I need to subsitute something in for a, would I put in the whole quantity above that I wrote?

I think you are getting it too. But I can't quite read the conclusion. Just solve for A.

Alright...thank you for the help!

Hello, I am stuck on this same problem and I've tried following the steps provided here, but it was not explained all the way to the end.

Here is what I've done;
a= -(omega^2)Acos(omega(t) + phi)
substituting omega = (2)(pi)(f)
a= (-4)(pi^2)(f^2)Acos[(2)(pi)(f)(t) + phi)

also, a= (umg / m) ---> a=ug

I equated these two expressions in an attempt to solve for A, but there are still several unknowns: the time t, and phase constant phi.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

So you have
[tex]a=-4\pi^2f^2Acos(2\pi ft+\phi)[/tex]

What is the maximum value that this whole thing can equal to? Think about how cosine behaves.

That value would be 1, right? Because that is the maximum y value of cos?

Should I just equate cos[(2)(pi)(f)(t) + phi) to 1? aka, ignore it? (Sorry about my notation.. I'm new to this board so I'm not used to how to get the symbols)

Yes, that's right. Cosine would oscillate between -1 and 1. So what would be the maximum value of acceleration?

Also, you don't really ignore it. It's always there; however, at some point in time, it is equal to that maximum value (or minimum).

Last edited:

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium position with a constant amplitude and period. This type of motion can be seen in many everyday examples, such as the swinging of a pendulum or the vibration of a guitar string.

2. What factors affect the period of a simple harmonic motion?

The period of a simple harmonic motion is affected by the mass of the object, the amplitude of the motion, and the force constant (or spring constant) of the system. In addition, the presence of friction can also impact the period of the motion.

3. How does friction affect simple harmonic motion?

Friction can reduce the amplitude of simple harmonic motion, causing the object to come to a stop sooner than it would without friction. It can also increase the period of the motion, as the frictional force acts as a damping force that slows down the oscillation.

4. What is the relationship between the force constant and the period of a spring undergoing simple harmonic motion?

The force constant, also known as the spring constant, is directly proportional to the period of a spring undergoing simple harmonic motion. This means that as the force constant increases, the period of the motion also increases.

5. Can simple harmonic motion be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, simple harmonic motion is a fundamental concept in physics and can be applied to many real-world situations. It can be used to model the motion of pendulums, springs, and other oscillating systems. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering, acoustics, and electronics.