1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic Motion and phase constant

1. Jul 25, 2015 #1
    A simple harmonic oscillator consists of a block of mass 45 g attached to a spring of spring constant 240 N/m, oscillating on a frictionless surface. If the block is displaced 3.5 cm from its equilibrium position and released so that its initial velocity is zero, what is the phase constant, φ , of its oscillations? Assume the block moves according to the equation x=xmaxcos(ωt+φ) .
    • A :

45o

• B :

30o

• C :

0o

• D :

90o

• E :

The phase constant is arbitrary.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2015 #2

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

What do you think?

4. Jul 25, 2015 #3
    Im really stuck on how to solve this problem. I know that the Xm is 0.035m. I also know that the w can be solved for using sqroot(k/m). But I'm stuck now on how to use this information to solve for the answer

5. Jul 25, 2015 #4

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

You should not need to do any arithmetic to answer this problem. You are not asked for omega.

Assume that "initial" means t = 0. What is the situation at t=0?

6. Jul 25, 2015 #5
    since the initial velocity is zero, would u take the derivative of the function to get v=-wxmsin(wt+φ). Then plug in the values to get 0 = -240(0.035)sin[(240)(0)+φ). Then solve for φ and get zero. According to the assignment the correct answer is zero. Is this the correct way to solve it?

7. Jul 25, 2015 #6

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Yes, that is one correct way.

Another approach would be to convince yourself that the starting position is a position of maximum displacement and that the cosine function is maximized when its argument is zero.

8. Jul 25, 2015 #7
    ok thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted