Simple Harmonic Motion - Finding max speed of an oscillator

In summary, the 300g oscillator's maximum speed is 102.2 cm/s. This was found by first manipulating the equation for maximum speed and then using conservation of energy to solve for the necessary values. The resulting value for maximum speed, 102.2 cm/s, is consistent with the given information.
KEØM

Homework Statement

A 300g oscillator has a speed of 95.4 cm/s when its displacement is 3.0 cm and 71.4 cm/s when it displacement is 6.0 cm. What is the oscillator's maximum speed?

Homework Equations

x = Acos([tex]\omega[/tex]t + [tex]\phi[/tex])
v = -[tex]\omega[/tex]Asin([tex]\omega[/tex]t + [tex]\phi[/tex])
vmax = [tex]\omega[/tex]A
v = [tex]\omega[/tex](A^2 - x^2)^1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I manipulated the fourth equation into

[tex]\omega[/tex]A or vmax = (v^2 + (x[tex]\omega[/tex])^2)^1/2

so if I get [tex]\omega[/tex] from somewhere else then I can use it to solve it for vmax but I can't see a way of doing that with the given info.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm... the fact that the mass is given gives me an idea. Try approaching the question from the conservation of energy, where Etot = 1/2 mv2 + 1/2 kx2. Equate Etot of the two cases would solve for k, and then one could find the value of Etot.

The next step is fairly simple: at maximum speed, Etot = 1/2mvmax2

Thank you very much for your help.

For a value of k I got 44.48 N/m

and for E[tex]_{}tot[/tex] I got about .157J

and then solving for v[tex]_{}max[/tex] I got 1.022 m/s or 102.2 cm/s which makes sense.

Thanks again for your help.

KE0M

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which a system oscillates back and forth around a central equilibrium point, with a constant amplitude and a fixed period.

2. How is the maximum speed of an oscillator calculated?

The maximum speed of an oscillator can be calculated using the equation vmax = Aω, where A is the amplitude of the oscillation and ω is the angular frequency.

3. What factors affect the maximum speed of an oscillator?

The maximum speed of an oscillator is affected by the amplitude of the oscillation, the mass of the system, and the stiffness of the restoring force.

4. Can the maximum speed of an oscillator be greater than the speed of light?

No, the maximum speed of an oscillator is limited by the speed of light. This is because the speed of light is the fastest speed at which any object can travel in our universe.

5. How does the maximum speed of an oscillator change as the mass or stiffness of the system is varied?

If the mass of the system is increased, the maximum speed of the oscillator will decrease. Similarly, if the stiffness of the restoring force is increased, the maximum speed will also increase. This is because both of these factors affect the frequency of the oscillation, which in turn affects the maximum speed.