1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic Motion - Finding max speed of an oscillator

1. Nov 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 300g oscillator has a speed of 95.4 cm/s when its displacement is 3.0 cm and 71.4 cm/s when it displacement is 6.0 cm. What is the oscillator's maximum speed?

2. Relevant equations
    x = Acos([tex]\omega[/tex]t + [tex]\phi[/tex])
    v = -[tex]\omega[/tex]Asin([tex]\omega[/tex]t + [tex]\phi[/tex])
    vmax = [tex]\omega[/tex]A
    v = [tex]\omega[/tex](A^2 - x^2)^1/2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I manipulated the fourth equation into

[tex]\omega[/tex]A or vmax = (v^2 + (x[tex]\omega[/tex])^2)^1/2

so if I get [tex]\omega[/tex] from somewhere else then I can use it to solve it for vmax but I can't see a way of doing that with the given info.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2008 #2
    Hmm... the fact that the mass is given gives me an idea. Try approaching the question from the conservation of energy, where Etot = 1/2 mv2 + 1/2 kx2. Equate Etot of the two cases would solve for k, and then one could find the value of Etot.

The next step is fairly simple: at maximum speed, Etot = 1/2mvmax2

4. Nov 29, 2008 #3
    Thank you very much for your help.

For a value of k I got 44.48 N/m

and for E[tex]_{}tot[/tex] I got about .157J

and then solving for v[tex]_{}max[/tex] I got 1.022 m/s or 102.2 cm/s which makes sense.

Thanks again for your help.

KE0M

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?