1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple harmonic motion of a machine part

1. Nov 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A machine part is undergoing SHM with a frequency of of 5hz and amplitude of 1.80cm. How long does it take the part to go from x = 0 to -1.80cm?

2. Relevant equations
    x = Acoswt

3. The attempt at a solution
    X is given and convert it to metres 0.018. I need to manipulate answer to get time.
    angular velocity is 2pi x 5 = 31.41. It is just an equation manipulation. could someone please show me the technique?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2012 #2
    The displacement is the negative of the amplitude.

4. Nov 20, 2012 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the peak amplitude is 1.8cm then asking when the displacement is -1.8 makes it rather easy. No need to even use the sin button on the calculator :-)

Sketch displacement vs time. Mark the points 1.8m and -1.8m. If T is the period (=1/5) at what fraction of T does 1.8cm and -1.8cm occur?

5. Nov 20, 2012 #4
    thanks 1/5 equals 0.2. Then divide by 4 and 0.05 is the time in seconds

6. Nov 21, 2012 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

0.05s is one valid answer but there are two possible valid right answers for this question. I recommend you give both.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook