1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic Motion of a Rigid Body

1. Dec 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A very light, rigid rod with a length of 0.570 m extends straight out from one end of a meter stick. The stick is suspended from a pivot at the far end of the rod and is set into oscillation. Determine the period of oscillation.

2. Relevant equations

omega = (Mgd/I)^1/2
    omega = 2pi/period.

3. The attempt at a solution

I solved this question, but I was just looking for clarification as to why it was right. The moment of inertia of the rod would be 1/3 ML^2 and using the parallel axis theorem I would have to add Md^2 on top of that.

The masses cancel in the first equation, but I was wondering about the "d" in the numerator. What does it represent? I originally thought it was the distance from the centre of mass to the pivot but it wasn't the case for this problem. Any insight is appreciated.

I when i subbed d=0.57 into the equation i got the correct answer of 2.15s, but I don't understand why.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The parallel axes theorem says that the moment of inertia about distance d from the center of mass is given by

I = ICM + md2, where ICM = (1/12)mL2 for a uniform rod not (1/3)mL2. If you got the right answer, you must have made two errors that cancelled each other.

4. Dec 2, 2009 #3
    True. I was using the moment of inertia about one end of the stick, which is indeed (1/3)mL2. In my case i guess the D was still the distance from the old axis to the new axis. In using the moment of inertia about the CM, and making d the distance between the pivot and the CM, I was able to again get the correct answer.

Thanks for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook