Simple Harmonic Motion position and velocity problem

In summary: I\sin(\omega t + \phi)In summary, at t=0 the particle is at its equilibrium position, and its velocity and acceleration are zero.
madchemist
"A particle moves along the x-axis. It is initially at the position 0.270 m, moving with velocity 0.140 m/s and acceleration -0.320 m/s^2. Assume it moves with simple harmonic motion for 4.50 s and x=0 is its equilibrium position. Find its position and velocity at the end of this time interval."

x=Amplitude * cos2(pi)ft

Found f using T= radical (x/a) * 2pi = 5.769 so f= 0.1734 Hz

However, even with solving for f I'm still left with two unknowns, i.e. A and t. Please help...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are given data for the initial postion, velocity, and acceleration. Set up equations for each. That will allow you to solve for the amplitude and phase.

madchemist said:
"A particle moves along the x-axis. It is initially at the position 0.270 m, moving with velocity 0.140 m/s and acceleration -0.320 m/s^2. Assume it moves with simple harmonic motion for 4.50 s and x=0 is its equilibrium position. Find its position and velocity at the end of this time interval."

x=Amplitude * cos2(pi)ft

Found f using T= radical (x/a) * 2pi = 5.769 so f= 0.1734 Hz

However, even with solving for f I'm still left with two unknowns, i.e. A and t. Please help...

This is how I've done it quickly...

x(t) = Bsin[2pi.f.t] + Acos[2pi.f.t] NB because at t=0, x=0.27 you can ignore the sin part
x(t) = Acos[2pi.f.t]
v(t) = -A.2pi.f.sin[2pi.f.t] (Diffrentiated once x(t) with respect to t)
a(t) = -A.(2pi.f)^2.cos[2pi.f.t] (Diffrentiated twice x(t) with respect to t)

x(t=0) = Acos[2pi.f.0]
x(t=0) = A (cos(0) = 0)
A = 0.27

a(t=0) = -0.27.(2pi.f)^2.cos[2pi.f.0]
a(t=0) = -0.27.(2pi.f)^2 (cos(0) = 0)
-0.320 = -0.27.(2pi.f)^2
f = sqrt[0.320/(0.27.(2.pi)^2)]
f = 0.173

x(t) = 0.27.cos[2pi.0.173.t]
x(t=4.5) = 0.27.cos[2pi.0.173.4.5]
x(t=4.5) = 0.050m

Dont quote me though its a while since I've done SHM

Cynapse said:
This is how I've done it quickly...

x(t) = Bsin[2pi.f.t] + Acos[2pi.f.t] NB because at t=0, x=0.27 you can ignore the sin part
x(t) = Acos[2pi.f.t]
v(t) = -A.2pi.f.sin[2pi.f.t] (Diffrentiated once x(t) with respect to t)
a(t) = -A.(2pi.f)^2.cos[2pi.f.t] (Diffrentiated twice x(t) with respect to t)

x(t=0) = Acos[2pi.f.0]
x(t=0) = A (cos(0) = 0)
A = 0.27
Sanity check: Do you think that the particle is at maximum displacement at t = 0?

Better to start with this:
[tex]x = A\sin(\omega t + \phi)[/tex]

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. This results in a sinusoidal pattern of motion.

2. What is the equation for SHM position and velocity?

The equation for SHM position is x = Acos(ωt + φ), where x is the position, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase constant. The equation for SHM velocity is v = -ωAsin(ωt + φ).

3. How is SHM different from other types of motion?

SHM is different from other types of motion because it is characterized by a constant frequency and amplitude, and the motion is always directed towards the equilibrium position. Other types of motion may have varying frequencies and amplitudes, and may not necessarily have a restoring force towards equilibrium.

4. How do you solve a SHM position and velocity problem?

To solve a SHM position and velocity problem, you first need to identify the given values for amplitude, angular frequency, and phase constant. Then, plug these values into the appropriate equations (x = Acos(ωt + φ) for position and v = -ωAsin(ωt + φ) for velocity) to calculate the position and velocity at a given time.

5. What are some real-life examples of SHM?

Some real-life examples of SHM include the motion of a mass on a spring, a pendulum swinging back and forth, and the vibrations of a guitar string. SHM can also be seen in the motion of a swinging door, the bobbing of a buoy in water, and the movement of a diving board.