1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic Motion Problem Help

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1
    a 2.00 kg frictionless block is attached to an ideal spring with force constant 300 N/m. at t=0 the spring is neither stretched nor compressed and the block is moving in the negative direction at 12.0 m/s. Find the amplitude, the phase angle, and write and equation for the position as a function of time.

i used w=√(k/m) to find the angular frequency. i get w=12.25 rad/s

then, i'm assuming that when x=0, the cos(θ) must equal zero, in the equation x=Acos(wt+θ)

solving for θ i get θ=∏/2.

after that i used v=-wAsin(wt+θ), to find the amplitude, which i got the amplitude of 0.98m

I believe i got the phase angle and amplitude with the right concepts of simple harmonic motion, except i can't figure out how to get the right equation of x(t). i always thought x(t) was supposed to have a cos function in it, however the answer in my book says it is a sin function. If someone could explain this to me i would greatly appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your results are correct. You can write the displacement during SHM in both ways: x=Acos(ωt+θ) or Asin(ωt+ψ)-they are the same with appropriate choice of the phase constants cos(ωt+θ)=sin(ωt+θ+π/2).

When the object starts from maximum displacement x=A, it is convenient to use the cosine form, as it involves zero phase constant, but the sine form is better to use when the object starts from equilibrium x=0: x=Asin(ωt).

ehild

4. Dec 5, 2011 #3
    thanks for explaining that to me!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook