Simple harmonic motion problem help.

In summary, the homework statement is saying that at any time, x will be the displacement of the particle experiencing SHM with frequency f=10hz. The initial conditions are that x=0.25m and v=0.1m/s.
Eats Dirt

Homework Statement

particle experiencing SHM with frequency f= 10 hz
find the displacement x at any time t for the following initial conditions.
@ t=0 x=0.25m v=0.1 m/s

Homework Equations

x=Asin(ωt+∅)
v=Aωcos(ωt+∅)

The Attempt at a Solution

So with frequency I find ω which then is subbed into the x=Asin(ωt+∅) @ t=0 to yield 0.25=Asin(∅).

I then get v=Aωcos(ωt+∅) and sub in for v and t and ω and get 0.25=A(20∏)cos(∅)
rearrange:

0.25/(20∏)=Acos(∅)

I then divide these equations by each other and rearrange to get:

arctan(50∏)= ∅

then with this I go back to 0.25=Asin(∅) and sub in ∅ rearrange to solve for A and its wrong! I get x=(0.16)sin(20∏t+1.56).

answer in book says x=0.25cos(20∏t)+0.00159sin(20∏t). it says also acceptable solutions would be x=0.25sin(20∏t+1.56) and its cos variant.

can someone please help I am confused about how they got this answer and how it is in that form.

Physics news on Phys.org
I like the books answers, I think you made a math error.

Edit, I like the books first answer, still can't get the books second expression to work?

The 1.56 in the books answer should be 1.5644?

Last edited:
Spinnor said:
I like the books answers, I think you made a math error.

Edit, I like the books first answer, still can't get the books second expression to work?

The 1.56 in the books answer should be 1.5644?

hurmm but why would Amplitude be 0.25 when it has a velocity that is not 0 meaning it is not at its maximum or minimum? and yes in the book they round.

Eats Dirt said:
hurmm but why would Amplitude be 0.25 when it has a velocity that is not 0 meaning it is not at its maximum or minimum? and yes in the book they round.

Because they give you the initial conditions at some point between max and min. The books answers (at least the first one) work when you properly substitute t = 0.

While [itex]x(t)=A\sin(\omega t+\phi)[/itex] is a correct general solution to the harmonic oscillator, [itex]x(t)=A\cos(\omega t)+B\sin(\omega t)[/itex] is also correct and has the added bonus that [itex]x(0)=A[/itex] and [itex]x'(0)=B\omega[/itex].

Edit:
You can go from one to the other by using the identitiy:
[tex]\sin(a+b)=\sin(a)\cos(b)+\cos(a)\sin(b)[/tex]
and going from [itex]x(t)=B\cos(\omega t+\phi)[/itex] can be done with
[tex]\cos(a+b)=\cos(a)\cos(b)-\sin(a)\sin(b)[/tex]

Last edited:
Eats Dirt said:
@ t=0 x=0.25m v=0.1 m/s
I then get v=Aωcos(ωt+∅) and sub in for v and t and ω and get 0.25=A(20∏)cos(∅)

The reason you can't get the books answer is because you used .25m for the velocity instead of .1m/s.

thank you all this is more clear now!

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object moves back and forth along a straight line, with a constant frequency and amplitude. It occurs when a restoring force is applied to an object, such as a spring, and the object is displaced from its equilibrium position.

2. How do you solve a simple harmonic motion problem?

To solve a simple harmonic motion problem, you can use the equation x = A sin(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement of the object, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the initial phase angle. You can also use the equations v = Aω cos(ωt + φ) and a = -Aω^2 sin(ωt + φ) to find the velocity and acceleration of the object at any given time.

3. What is the relationship between period and frequency in simple harmonic motion?

The period, T, of a simple harmonic motion is the time it takes for one complete cycle of the motion. The frequency, f, is the number of cycles per second. The relationship between period and frequency is T = 1/f, or f = 1/T. This means that as the frequency increases, the period decreases, and vice versa.

4. Can simple harmonic motion occur in systems other than springs?

Yes, simple harmonic motion can occur in other systems besides springs. Any system that has a restoring force and can oscillate back and forth, such as a pendulum or a mass on a spring, can exhibit simple harmonic motion.

5. How does damping affect simple harmonic motion?

Damping refers to the gradual decrease in amplitude of a system's oscillations over time. In simple harmonic motion, damping can occur due to factors such as friction or air resistance. Damping reduces the amplitude of the oscillations, which in turn affects the period and frequency of the motion.