1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple harmonic motion problem involving matrices

1. Mar 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2 equal masses are joined together by a spring of stiffness k. each of the masses is then connected to a wall with an identical spring. derive the equations of motion in matrix form. (a diagam has 2 masses with x1 on top of the first mass and x2 on top of the second.)

2. Relevant equations
    hooke's law: F = kx

3. The attempt at a solution
    mass 1:

mx1'' = F(x2 - x1) - Fx1
    mx2'' = Fx2 - F(x2 - x1)

^ are these correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2009 #2
    Mass one looks good but mass two is off. What happened to your third spring ?

4. Mar 30, 2009 #3
    Also, draw yourself a free body diagram.

5. Mar 30, 2009 #4
    i did. there are only 2 displacements (x1 and x2), right? the extension of the third spring is not kx2?

6. Mar 30, 2009 #5
    There are only two equations, but you need to include the third spring. If the masses are going to move springs 1,2, and 3 have to move with them.

7. Mar 30, 2009 #6
    but each mass is connected to 2 springs. therefore each equation should only have 2 terms. the only mistake i can see with the second equation is that Fx2 (force from the THIRD spring) should be negative. oh, and sorry if i haven't been clear enough -- the diagram goes like this:

[wall] [spring] [mass 1] [spring] [mass 2] [spring] [wall]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  8. Mar 30, 2009 #7
    Mass one depends upon springs 1 and 2. Mass two depends on springs 2 and 3. Rewrite your equations and redraw your FOB.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook