1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Position vs time graph simple harmonic motion phase constant

1. Dec 9, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://imgur.com/a/FDfAp
    BJKwTzy.png
    What is the phase constant?
    2. Relevant equations
    x(t) = A*cos(ωt+Φ)

3. The attempt at a solution
    If I'm not mistaken at t = 0 the graph starts at half the amplitude or 5. Also the amplitude of this graph is 10, and at t = 0 angular velocity is also 0.
    5 = 10*cos(0 + Φ)
    Φ = arccos(5/10)
    Φ = π/3
    The answer is supposed to be -2π/3, I'm not sure what I did wrong or if I'm even doing the question right.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2016 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The phase constant is different if you suppose x(t) as x(t) = A*cos(ωt+Φ) or x(t) = A*cos(ωt-Φ) or x(t) = A*sin(ωt+Φ), x(t) = A*sin(ωt-Φ).
    You also have to take into account if the function increases or decreases at t=0. The function in question increases, so the phase can not be pi/3. But it does not mean that -2pi/3 is correct.

4. Dec 10, 2016 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The arccos function is defined to return a value in a certain range, but there are infinitely many solutions to cos(Φ)=0.5.
    What other solutions are there in, say, (-π, π), or (0, 2π) if you prefer?
    These all give the right value at t=0, but what about an instant later?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted