Simple harmonic motion spring problem

In summary: The equations will be w1 = 2 pi f1w2 = 2 pi f2x = (w1*x+w2*x)/2The two particles will be side by side at x=0 at the following times:w1 = 2 pi f1 = 3.14 rad/sw2 = 2 pi f2 = 2.57 rad/sTherefore, the time required for the particles to be side by side is:t = (3.14*rad/s+2.57*rad/s)/2 = 0.7 rad/s
Dylan.Wallett

Homework Statement

The drawing shows a top view of a frictionless horizontal surface, where there are two springs with particles of mass*m1*and*m2*attached to them. Each spring has a spring constant of*120*N/m. The particles are pulled to the right and then released from the positions shown in the drawing. How much time passes before the particles are side by side for the first time at*x*= 0 m if the following masses are used: m1 = 3.0 kg m2 = 2.7 kg

Homework Equations

w = squ root k/m - frequency of vibration
w = 2 pi/T
E=1/2mv^2 + 1/2kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty stumped with this one. I feel we need to know the distance that the two particles were pulled to and then released.
I started with
m1 - w= squ root k/m
= squ root 120/3.0
= 2.0 rad/s

m2 - w= squ root k/m
= squ root 120/2.7
= 2.1 rad/s

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't find your drawing. Are you sure that it was properly attached?

Sorry - not sure what happened. I have attached it again. Hope it comes through this time

Attachments

• Spring diag.jpg
    Spring diag.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 556
Much better.

The frequencies and periods of the two spring-mass systems are independent of their amplitudes, depending only upon the masses and spring constants. If you let ω1 and ω2 be their angular frequencies respectively, then you should be able to write an equation for the position of each with respect to time as sinusoidal functions. Since you're only concerned about where these functions are zero, you can just set their amplitudes to unity.

I see now that the one particle will be going slower than the other and therefore if released together at the same time the amplitudes will be in unity and will create two sinusoidal functions that will meet at zero.
So I will make w1 and w2 = f1 and f2. Find the periods (which should be equal) and then find out the time at X=0. I am going to draw it out and try and find out if there are mistakes I have written here.

Thanks for putting me on the right track.

What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. This means that the object will oscillate back and forth between two points with a constant frequency and amplitude.

What is a spring problem in relation to simple harmonic motion?

A spring problem in relation to simple harmonic motion refers to a situation where an object attached to a spring is displaced from its equilibrium position and then released. The resulting motion of the object is a classic example of simple harmonic motion.

How do you calculate the period of a spring undergoing simple harmonic motion?

The period of a spring undergoing simple harmonic motion can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object attached to the spring, and k is the spring constant. The period is the time it takes for the object to complete one full oscillation.

What factors affect the frequency of a spring undergoing simple harmonic motion?

The frequency of a spring undergoing simple harmonic motion is affected by the mass of the object attached to the spring, the spring constant, and the amplitude of the oscillation. Increasing the mass or spring constant will decrease the frequency, while increasing the amplitude will increase the frequency.

How does the amplitude affect the energy of a spring undergoing simple harmonic motion?

The amplitude of a spring undergoing simple harmonic motion is directly proportional to the energy of the system. This means that as the amplitude increases, so does the energy. This is because a larger amplitude results in a greater displacement from equilibrium, which requires more energy to overcome the restoring force of the spring.