1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic Motion using total mechanical energy

1. Jul 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 250 gram mass is connected to a spring and executes simple harmonic motion. The period of motion is 0.5 seconds and the total mechanical energy is 0.50J. What is the amplitude of motion?

2. Relevant equations
    ΔU = 1/2kx2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I get

1/2kx2 = 0.5J,

then I get

kx2 = 1.0J

Not sure where to go from here. I do have the answer from the answer key, but I have no idea how to actually get the answer. I think I'm supposed to integrate something, but I'm not sure how to incorporate the time value into any equations.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2012 #2
    do you know another equation involving k that applies to your situation?

4. Jul 26, 2012 #3
    kx=ma, perhaps? If so, should I use kx = m(dv/dt)? But then how will I obtain a value for velocity?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  5. Jul 26, 2012 #4
    what does the solution of the differential equation kx=ma look like? [Check your notes on simple harmonic motion, watch out for sign conventions]

6. Jul 26, 2012 #5
    d/dt(kx)=d/dt(ma)
    k(dx/dt)=m(da/dt)
    kv(t)=m(da/dt)?

7. Jul 26, 2012 #6
    a = dv/dt = d2x/dt2 would be a better route. da/dt is going in the wrong direction.

========

the solution will be of the form x = F(t) where F will be a function that you recognise.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  8. Jul 26, 2012 #7
    x=ma/k? I am totally lost...

I have ax=4. Am I on the right track?

9. Jul 26, 2012 #8
    what do your notes say for how x varies in a system that is executing simple harmonic motion? There is something not quite right with your kx = ma. Not quite because it is normally expressed in an ever so slightly different way.

10. Jul 26, 2012 #9
    F = -kx
    W = Fd =∫Fnetdx
    Wtotal = ΔK
    ΔU = 1/2kx2

11. Jul 26, 2012 #10
    If y = sin(t) what is dy/dt, what about d2y/dt2

12. Jul 26, 2012 #11
    dy/dt=cos(t), d2y/dt2=-sin(t)?

Thank you for your help thus far, but it's 4AM over here in the EST timezone, so I must go to bed. I will check back on this thread in five hours or so.

13. Jul 26, 2012 #12
    so how are y and d2y/dt2 related? is there anything that you have posted so far that looks similar?

14. Jul 26, 2012 #13
    m(dv/dt)=k(dx/dt)
    m(dv/dt)=kv?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook