1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple harmonic motion (with calculus)

1. Jun 17, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An object with mass m undergoes simple harmonic motion, following 2 perpendicular directions, described by the equations:

x=a cos (wt), a>0,
    y=b cos (2wt), b>0

a) find the equation of the trajectory
    b) find the speed at any given time (so having t as a variable)
    c) the maximum force F which acts on the object at any given time (again, having t as a variable).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So far: a) from x=a cos (wt) we get cos (wt)=x/a; in the y equation, we can expand as follows:
    cos (2wt)=cos^2 (wt) - sin^2 (wt). We also know that for any real x we have cos^2 (x) +sin^2(x)=1, therefore cos (2wt)=cos^2 (wt) - sin^2 (wt)=cos^2 (wt) + cos^2(wt)-1; therefore y=b (2cos^2 (wt) -1 )=b( x^2/a^2 -1 ), which is the equation of the trajectory.

Now for b) and c), I'm not quite sure how to use what I have. I differentiated the x and y equation from the beginning, differentiated the trajectory and somehow I need to combine them. I suppose the idea from b) applies to c).

I would be grateful if you could give me some hints :)

Have a great day,
    Adrian
    PS: If it is not clear, I could rewrite using latex.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2016 #2
    Solved b), only need further help at c) (got that Fmax=mw^2 (8b-4ab)/a , which doesn't seem correct to me )

4. Jun 17, 2016 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

8b-4ab is dimensionally inconsistent, so cannot be right. Step through your working to find where the dimensional inconsistency arises.

5. Jun 17, 2016 #4
    Apparently, I forgot that since those 2 directions are perpendicular, a= sqrt ( ax^2+ay^2) , where ax is the acceleration found by differentiating vx from b) and the same for ay. Basically, I have to maximize sqrt ( a^2*w^4*cos^2 (wt) + 16*b^2*w^4*cos^2( 2wt) ), which doesn't require calculus, the maximum is obviously achieved when both cosines are =1, and therefore the maximum acceleration would be sqrt (a^2*w^4+16*b^2*w^4). I might be missing sth though, does that seem correct?

6. Jun 17, 2016 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There is one step missing in the reasoning above, though perhaps you merely omitted to mention it: that both cosines can be 1 simultaneously.

7. Jun 17, 2016 #6
    Not sure if I understand your point, by saying "the maximum is obviously achieved when both cosines are =1" I meant to say that the maximum occurs when both cosines are equal to 1 (when t=2k pi, k integer). Is this correct, sir?

8. Jun 17, 2016 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, that's the part you needed to add for completeness. E.g. if the expression had been ##\cos(\omega t)+\cos(\omega t+\cos(t))## it might not be possible for that ever to equal 2.

9. Jun 18, 2016 #8
    I see your point, thank you for taking your time to help me, haruspex. Wish you an amazing day!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted