Simple Harmonic Motion with Spring

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the acceleration of a mass hanging from a massless spring, given its initial velocity and equilibrium length after a load is added. The solution involves using the equations for the sum of forces and solving for the spring constant first before finding the acceleration at a specific time.
getty102

Homework Statement

A massless spring is hanging vertically. With no load on the spring, it has a length of 0.22 m. When a mass of 0.68 kg is hung on it, the equilibrium length is 0.75 m. At t=0, the mass (which is at the equilibrium point) is given a velocity of 4.88 m/s downward.
At t=046s, what is the acceleration of the mass? (Positive for upward acceleration, negative for downward)

Homework Equations

[itex]\Sigma[/itex]Fy=-k(yeq-y0)
[itex]\Sigma[/itex]Fy=may

The Attempt at a Solution

The only two forces acting on the mass are the Tension from the spring and weight. So
Tsm-(mg)=may
I am now stuck wondering if that was a good place to start. Is the traditional way to solve this problem to find the spring constant first?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes you should find the spring constant first as you will need it later on to get the acceleration at t= 0.46.

I have k=(mg)/(yeq-y0). I don't think this is right.

getty102 said:
I have k=(mg)/(yeq-y0). I don't think this is right.

Right, well you are given m, y0 and yeq and you know g. So you can get k.

I would say that you have started in the right direction by identifying the forces acting on the mass and using the equations for Newton's second law. However, to fully solve the problem, you will need to find the spring constant first. This can be done by using the given information about the equilibrium length and the mass hanging on the spring. Once you have the spring constant, you can plug it into your equation and solve for the acceleration of the mass at t=0.46s. It is always important to start by identifying the relevant variables and equations, and then proceed with finding the missing values.

What is simple harmonic motion with spring?

Simple harmonic motion with spring refers to the periodic back-and-forth motion of a mass attached to a spring, where the force of the spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position.

What is the equation for simple harmonic motion with spring?

The equation for simple harmonic motion with spring is F = -kx, where F is the restoring force of the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position.

What factors affect the period of simple harmonic motion with spring?

The period of simple harmonic motion with spring is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the amplitude of the motion. A larger mass or spring constant will result in a longer period, while a larger amplitude will result in a shorter period.

How is simple harmonic motion with spring different from other types of motion?

Simple harmonic motion with spring is different from other types of motion because it follows a specific pattern of back-and-forth motion, rather than linear or circular motion. It also involves a restoring force, which is not present in other types of motion.

What are some real-life examples of simple harmonic motion with spring?

A common example of simple harmonic motion with spring is the motion of a pendulum, where the mass is attached to a string or rod and swings back and forth. Other examples include a mass attached to a spring in a car's suspension system or a person jumping on a trampoline.