Simple homogenous 2nd order Diff EQ, but i'm stuck on the process

In summary, the conversation involved discussing a homework problem involving finding y as a function of t using second-order differentials. The person had some initial confusion but eventually solved the problem using matrix methods to find the values for c1 and c2.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, we just started 2nd order differentials, and i was loooking at his example and it made senes but now I'm doing the homework and I'm stuck.

Here is the problem:
Find y as a function of t if
y'' - 3y' = 0,
y(0) = 9, y(1) = 7 .
y(t) =?

Well there is my work
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/495/lastscan6vi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
you have it right, just need to solve for c1 and c2 from this system (same as you have):

[tex]c_1+c_2=9[/tex]
[tex]c_1+c_2e^3=7[/tex]

Use matrix methods: the system is

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&1\\1&e^3\end{array}\right) \left(\begin{array}{cc}c_1\\c_2\end{array}\right) =\left(\begin{array}{cc}9\\7\end{array}\right)[/tex]

multipling on the left by the inverse of the coefficient matrix gives

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}c_1\\c_2\end{array}\right) = \frac{1}{(1)(e^3)-(1)(1)} \left(\begin{array}{cc}e^3&-1\\-1&1\end{array}\right) \left(\begin{array}{cc}9\\7\end{array}\right) = \frac{1}{e^3-1} \left(\begin{array}{cc}9e^3-7\\-9+7\end{array}\right) = \left(\begin{array}{cc}\frac{9e^3-7}{e^3-1}\\-\frac{2}{e^3-1}\end{array}\right)[/tex]

so [tex]c_1=\frac{9e^3-7}{e^3-1}\mbox{ and }c_2=-\frac{2}{e^3-1}[/tex]

1. What is a simple homogenous 2nd order differential equation?

A simple homogenous 2nd order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its first and second derivatives. It is considered homogenous because all terms in the equation have the same degree, and it is second order because it involves the second derivative of the function.

2. How do I solve a simple homogenous 2nd order differential equation?

To solve a simple homogenous 2nd order differential equation, you need to use techniques such as substitution, integration, and algebraic manipulation. The specific process varies depending on the form of the equation, but the ultimate goal is to isolate the function and find its solution.

3. What makes solving a simple homogenous 2nd order differential equation challenging?

The main difficulty in solving a simple homogenous 2nd order differential equation lies in the process of isolating the function and finding its solution. This process often involves complex algebraic manipulations and requires a strong understanding of derivatives and integration.

4. How do I know if my solution to a simple homogenous 2nd order differential equation is correct?

To check the correctness of your solution to a simple homogenous 2nd order differential equation, you can substitute it back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. You can also compare your solution to known solutions or use numerical methods to verify its accuracy.

5. Can I use software to solve a simple homogenous 2nd order differential equation?

Yes, there are software programs that can solve simple homogenous 2nd order differential equations. However, it is important to have a good understanding of the concepts and techniques involved in solving these equations before relying on software. Additionally, it is always a good idea to check the accuracy of the software's solution.