1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple intergral using parametric equations

1. Jun 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

i. [tex]x = 3cost,[/tex]
    ii. [tex]y = 9sin2t,[/tex]
    iii. [tex]0\leq t < 2\pi[/tex]

iv.[tex]\int_0^\frac{\pi}{2} Asin2tsint \ dt[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution

So this is what I am given and I am supposed to be able to show that this is the integral for the shadded area between the curve and the x-axis in the 1st quadrant (sorry I know that relys on a graph, but the question is related I have isnt related to the actually shadded area anyway), so I can show the the interval is correct and form the intergral using

[tex] \int y \frac{dx}{dt} dt [/tex]

but they state as answer that A is 27. Now I know that that must be the answer because the shaded region is above the x-axis, so the integral in those limits should be possitive, but whenever I try to from the intergral equation I get -27 becuase dx/dt is -3sint. Can anyone help me to see how I have gone wrong, thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2008 #2
    Ah I have figured out the answer, basically the curve cuts the x-axis at 0 and 3 (well at least the shaded region), and getting the paramater t for each value is x=0, t= pi/2 and x = 3, t=0. so in actuall fact on initial formualtion of the intergral I should get:

[tex] \int_{\frac{\pi}{2}}^0 -27sin2tsint \ dt [/tex]

and then if I reverse the limits of intergration of the intergral i get :

[tex] \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} 27sin2tsint \ dt [/tex]

Thanks all who did look (or will) :-)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?