Simple kinematic equations question?

In summary, the problem involves a pole-vaulter falling from rest from a height of 3.6 m onto a foam-rubber pad. The pole-vaulter comes to rest 0.34 s after landing on the pad. The first part of the problem asks to calculate the athlete's velocity just before reaching the pad, and the second part asks to calculate the constant force exerted on the pole-vaulter due to the collision. The kinematic equations are used to solve the problem, with the time of 0.34 s being used in the second part only.
sbacker

Homework Statement

A 52.2 kg pole-vaulter falls from rest from a height of 3.6 m onto a foam-rubber pad. The pole-vaulter comes to rest 0.34 s after landing on the pad.

(a) Calculate the athlete's velocity just before reaching the pad.

(b) Calculate the constant force exerted on the pole-vaulter due to the collision.

Homework Equations

Kinematic equations: V = Vo + AT, X = ((V+Vo)/2)*T, V^2 = Vo^2 + 2AX, X = VoT +.5AT^2

F = ma (though I haven't attempted part b yet)

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems like this problem should be easily and quickly solvable using any of the kinematic equations (4 of three values are known, right? Time, distance, acceleration, and original velocity), but this is what I tried and both answers were wrong:

0 = Vo + 9.8 m/s^2 * .34 s (tried 3.33, didn't work)

3.6 = Vo(.34) + .5 * 9.8 *.34^2
3.6 = Vo * .19259 (tried 18.7, didn't work)

I'm a little confused about whether the pole vaulter's mass is irrelevant information, or how to use it—I think I'm a little off with the kinematic equations. Thanks for your help and answers, I know I'm not very good at physics! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi sbacker,

sbacker said:

Homework Statement

A 52.2 kg pole-vaulter falls from rest from a height of 3.6 m onto a foam-rubber pad. The pole-vaulter comes to rest 0.34 s after landing on the pad.

(a) Calculate the athlete's velocity just before reaching the pad.

(b) Calculate the constant force exerted on the pole-vaulter due to the collision.

Homework Equations

Kinematic equations: V = Vo + AT, X = ((V+Vo)/2)*T, V^2 = Vo^2 + 2AX, X = VoT +.5AT^2

F = ma (though I haven't attempted part b yet)

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems like this problem should be easily and quickly solvable using any of the kinematic equations (4 of three values are known, right? Time, distance, acceleration, and original velocity)

No, for part a you do not know the time. There are two parts to the motion: the fall from the highest point to the pad, and then the motion as the person pushes down into the pad (stopping).

The 0.34seconds refers to how long it takes for the pad to stop the person, not how long it takes for the person to reach the pad.

Looks like you've just misread the question. 0.34 seconds isn't how long it takes the pole vaulter to fall onto the pad, it's how long it takes the pad to "pop back" after the vaulter lands. So your first step should be to figure out how long it takes him to reach the pad. The 0.34 seconds don't matter until part b of the question.

Edit: Oops. Thought I'd refreshed the thread before replying.

Oh, I read the problem way too fast! How silly of me— thanks for clarifying, I got both parts of the problem right using the kinematic equations with only original velocity, acceleration, and distance. Thanks for pointing out my mistake!

1. What are simple kinematic equations?

Simple kinematic equations are mathematical formulas that describe the motion of an object in terms of its position, velocity, acceleration, and time. They are used to solve problems involving motion in a straight line, assuming constant acceleration.

2. What are the three main kinematic equations?

The three main kinematic equations are:

- v = u + at (equation for calculating final velocity)

- s = ut + 1/2at² (equation for calculating displacement)

- v² = u² + 2as (equation for calculating final velocity squared)

3. How do I determine which kinematic equation to use?

The kinematic equation to use depends on the information given in the problem. If the final velocity is unknown, use the first equation. If the displacement is unknown, use the second equation. If the final velocity squared is unknown, use the third equation.

4. What is the difference between kinematic equations and dynamics equations?

Kinematic equations describe the motion of an object without considering the forces that cause the motion. Dynamics equations, on the other hand, take into account the forces acting on an object and how they affect its motion.

5. Can kinematic equations be used for non-uniform motion?

No, kinematic equations can only be used for motion with constant acceleration. For non-uniform motion, more complex equations such as the calculus-based equations of motion are needed.