Simple minicamera with wired connection

• Thread starter Neitrino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Connection
In summary, if you want to use a long wired link, you'll need a camera with digital compressed data transmission, and a way to forward-terminate or back-terminate the cable.
Neitrino
Engineering news on Phys.org
If you use just plain wire, most likely not very well, if at all. If you use 75 Ohm coax cable to carry the video you have a much better chance of getting decent video. But at that price, under USD $8, it is certainly worth a try! You may pay that much for the coax cable alone.

Cheers,
Tom

Neitrino said:
Dear PF,
I need to have a simple mini-camera with wire connection... (i don't want wireless transmission).
if i get for example an ordinary small FPV camera:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mic...lgo_pvid=2c18d85c-8461-4d45-9ef0-151842811e18

and i will extend wire connections let's say up to 30 m long will it work ?

Or what advises can you give me ?
Well, clicking into your link doesn't help me much. In the 30 seconds or so that I can look around that page, there are no datasheets or technical information that I can find, and then a giant advertisement pops up blocking any access to the information. Not a great link.

To answer your question, you need to look at the datasheet to see what format the video data is transmitted in back up that ribbon cable (?). If it's digital compressed data and you can forward-terminate or back-terminate that digital transmission line, you have a chance at using a long wired link.

What experience do you have with high speed transmission lines and termination schemes? Can you post a datasheet for that candidate camera module please? Thanks.

Specs from the aliexpress page.

Says output is 1.2Vpp, 75 Ohms, PAL format

600TVL 170 degree color video mini camera with mic audio for Mini Quadcopter Multirotor

orizontal Resolution : 600TVL
Minimum lllumination: 0LUX(LED ON)
S/N ratio ≥48dB
Gama :0.45
Frame speed: 50f/s(PAL)
White balance: Auto
Audio out : Monophonic
Video out: 1.2Vp-p 75Ω CVBS
Image color: Color
TV format : PAL
Lens: 1.8mm Wide view angle 170 Degree

IR Distance :1-3 Meters
Working temperature : -10~+50Degree C
Input power : 5V(Module)/DC9-12V(With step-down AV cable)
Power consumption :120mA
Size : 12.5mm*12mm(D*H)
Weight: 3.8g

Cheers,
Tom

Neitrino said:
and i will extend wire connections let's say up to 30 m long will it work ?

Tom.G said:
If you use 75 Ohm coax cable to carry the video you have a much better chance of getting decent video.
I would suggest that with the very low output from the camera there will next to no signal at the end of a 30m cable
Even with good quality CCTV cameras 30m would be pushing your luck. Talking from personal experience in the game.
Which is why for long runs ethernet cameras are usually used

Dave

Last edited:
Likes Tom.G and berkeman
I could barely push something like this up to 12m.
And even for that distance I had to use an LDO near the receiver.
Right after the first storm I had to add some protective diodes too.

If you want it on wires, then try finding something with FM (coax) output.

Likes davenn
IMHO, you would do better grabbing a budget CCTV mini-camera, with BNC/phono or bayonet connections. They, at least, are meant to carry your signal more than those very few inches to the 'coptor's video-in port.

Sorry, I can't seem to post a short AliExpress link. Try searching for eg OOTDTY CCTV IR Wired Mini Camera

I have one like this, IIRC < $10, used for sanity-checking USB video-capture dongles.

But, the same cautions on maximum cable length still apply, just further along...

What is a simple minicamera with wired connection?

A simple minicamera with wired connection is a small, compact camera that is connected to a device or computer using a wired connection, such as a USB or HDMI cable. It is typically used for surveillance, security, or recording purposes.

What are the benefits of using a simple minicamera with wired connection?

One of the main benefits of using a simple minicamera with wired connection is its reliability. With a wired connection, there is less chance of interference or signal loss compared to wireless connections. It also allows for a more secure and stable connection, making it ideal for long-term use.

How do I set up a simple minicamera with wired connection?

The setup process for a simple minicamera with wired connection is fairly straightforward. First, you will need to connect the camera to your device using the appropriate cable. Then, you may need to install any necessary software or drivers. Once the camera is connected and set up, you can start using it to capture footage or images.

What are some common uses for a simple minicamera with wired connection?

A simple minicamera with wired connection can be used for a variety of purposes, including home or office security, monitoring pets or children, recording lectures or presentations, and capturing footage for vlogs or social media content. It can also be used in scientific research or experiments for data collection.

Are there any limitations to using a simple minicamera with wired connection?

One limitation of using a simple minicamera with wired connection is that it requires a physical connection to a device, which may limit its portability. Additionally, the length of the cable may also limit the distance the camera can be placed from the device. Finally, the quality of the footage or images may be affected by the type and length of the cable used.