Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple models of nanoscale carbon structures

1. Feb 5, 2007 #1
    Hello - I am searching for some guidance, and I would greatly (greatly) appreciate any tips, pointers, etc.

I am interested in the stability and geometry of nanoscale carbon structures, such as fullerenes and single-walled carbon nanotubes. I am wondering where to begin to develop - for my own personal interest, not for any real research! - simple models of these structures.

The sorts of questions I am curious about are: C60, C70, Cx - how is x related to the energy of the buckyball, or the radius? How can I calculate the potential energy of a carbon nanotube, say an armchair with inner diameter 1.4 nm, in vacuum? Could I bend a nanotube into some specific geometry - IE, like a torus? What conditions would result in this structure being stable in vacuum? If it was unstable, what magnitude force would I have to symmetrically exert around it to keep it together?

Are there any books I should try to get a copy of to help start me off on this quest? Are there any pre-established models, or basic physical ideas, that would be useful in guiding me?

Thank you for any words you could provide me.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted