Simple multiple choice questions

In summary, the conversation discussed various physics concepts and questions related to them. These included the principle of equivalence, operations with vectors, Hooke's law, impulse, and conservation laws. The conversation also included a question about the amount of work done on a body and which quantity must be conserved in a collision. The expert summarizer provided clear explanations for each question and wished the person luck on their upcoming final exam.
yesiammanu
I'm taking a final tomorrow and was just wondering if someone could confirm that these (most missed) multiple choice questions on the previous exams are answered correctly. Again, this isn't homework, they are old test questions

The "Principle of Equivalence" states that __________ and ___________ are experimentally indistinguishable!
a. mass, energy b. velocity, speed c. force, mass d. particles, waves e. None of the above!
A: e - principle of equivalence states that acceleration due to gravity and acceleration due to frame of reference are experimentally indistinguishable

If you reverse the order of operation for two vectors A and B, which of the following results is (are) affected?
a. A + B b. A - B c. the dot product d. the cross product e. Both b and d are affected!
A: e - crossproduct and subtraction both rely on position in the matrix

The next three questions refer to a 10.0 kg mass which is moving in the x direction as given by, x(t) = 10.0 t2 + 5.00 t where x is measured in meters and t is measured in seconds starting at t = 0
15. Which of the following is a constant?
a. velocity b. position c. speed d. net external force e. None of the above!
A: d - force is constant because there is no jerk in the equationThe result of the following operation involving five non-zero vectors is, [(A x B) x C](E dot F)
a. a vector b. a scalar c. You can't tell from the information given!
A: I have no idea, actually. I'd assume that it would be a vector since the first 3 would go in the ij direction

An ideal Hooke's law spring is stretched from zero to 10.0 cm and 1.00 J of work is done by the external force stretching the spring. If the same spring is stretched from zero to 20.0 cm, how much work did the external force do?
a. still 1.00 J b. 2.00 J c. 4.00 J d. 8.00 J e. None of the above are even close!
A: Hookes law - 1/2 k x2, so it would do 4x as much work, 4 joules.

True or False: No matter how hard you push on a body, if the body doesn't move then your force has not applied any impulse to it!
a. True b. False c. I don't have a clue!
A: Impulse is the change in momentum, and momentum = m * v, so since the velocity is still 0, it would be True

In any collision, what quantity (or quantities) MUST be conserved?
a. total energy b. linear momentum c. potential energy d. kinetic energy e. both "a" and "b" above
A: e - Potential energy and kinetic energy is in general form, mechanical energy which is not conserved by elastic collisions

A typical passenger car traveling at 30.0 MPH can stop on dry pavement in a minimum distance of about 20.0 m. At 90.0 MPH, under the same conditions, the same vehicle should stop in a distance of about ______ meters.
a. 40.0 b. 60.0 c. 80.0 d. 100. e. 180
A: kinetic energy is 1/2 m*v2, so when trippling speed, you increase distance factor by 9. Therefore, it is e, 180m

In a collision, a large SUV and a Mini Cooper hit head-on. Which experiences the greatest magnitude impulse during the collision?
a. the Mini b. the SUV c. both impulses are equal d. None of the above is correct!
A: Since p = mv, the SUV will have more mass than a mini cooper and therefore lose more momentum when they strike head on (assuming they stop completely), so b is correctThanks for the help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi yesiammanu! :smile:

they're all fine down to and including the hooke's law question (after that, i got bored) :smile:

the missing one …
yesiammanu said:
The result of the following operation involving five non-zero vectors is, [(A x B) x C](E dot F)
a. a vector b. a scalar c. You can't tell from the information given!
A: I have no idea, actually. I'd assume that it would be a vector since the first 3 would go in the ij direction

… is easy if you do it in bits

the () is a dot product, so it's a … ?
the [] is a cross product of a cross product, so it's a … ?
and can you combine those two? :wink:

The [] is a crossproduct so it goes in the xysintheta direction towards the z axis due to the right hand rule, which implies a vector
The dot product creates a scalar, and when a scalar is multiplied by a vector, you end with a vector (so that speed * velocity = velocity). So the answer is a vector. Thanks!For this one:
True or False: No matter how hard you push on a body, if the body doesn't move then your force has not applied any impulse to it!
A: Impulse is the change in momentum, and momentum = m * v, so since the velocity is still 0, it would be True

Apparently I got this wrong, but I'm not really sure why.

yesiammanu said:

Apparently I got this wrong, but I'm not really sure why.

definitions …

work = force times distance … zero!

impulse = force times time … non-zero! :wink:

(there's an equal and opposite impulse from whatever is restraining the body, that's why it doesn't move! :biggrin:)

good luck tomorrow! :smile:

, but I am unable to confirm the accuracy of these answers without seeing the actual questions and options. Additionally, it is important to understand the concepts behind the answers rather than just memorizing them. Good luck on your exam tomorrow!

What is a simple multiple choice question?

A simple multiple choice question is a type of question where the test taker is presented with several options, and must choose the correct answer from those options. It is commonly used in educational and testing settings to assess knowledge and understanding.

How do you format a simple multiple choice question?

A simple multiple choice question is typically formatted with the question or prompt followed by a list of options, usually labeled with letters or numbers. The test taker must select the correct option by circling, checking, or clicking on it.

What are the advantages of using simple multiple choice questions?

Simple multiple choice questions are easy to grade, as there is only one correct answer and no room for subjective interpretation. They also allow for a large amount of content to be covered in a relatively short amount of time, and can be used to test a wide range of knowledge and skills.

What are the limitations of using simple multiple choice questions?

Simple multiple choice questions may not effectively assess higher-level thinking skills such as critical thinking or problem solving. They also have a higher likelihood of guessing, which may not accurately reflect a test taker's knowledge or understanding.

How can you improve the effectiveness of simple multiple choice questions?

To improve the effectiveness of simple multiple choice questions, it is important to carefully craft the options and ensure that they are plausible but clearly distinct. Additionally, including a range of question types (such as true/false or matching) can provide a more comprehensive assessment of knowledge and understanding.