Simple pendulum - displacement increase

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from chapter 2 of Kibble regarding the time taken for the angular displacement of a simple pendulum to increase by a factor of 10. The moderator notes that the question was moved from a technical forum and that the poster is seeking advice on how to approach the problem. The poster also mentions a potential solution involving the equation x=½Aept+½Be-pt but is unsure of how to proceed. They also ask for tips on how to format equations on the forum.
ward.o.j
<Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and therefore no template.>

A simple pendulum of length l (supported by a light, rigid rod) is released from rest at a small angle to the upward vertical.

Show that the time taken for the angular displacement to increase by a factor of 10 is approximately (l/g)1/2ln20.

This is from chapter 2 of Kibble. There's a section which suggests writing x=½Aept+½Be-pt as one version of the general solution to the equations of motion which seems promising, but I can't see how this leads to the value in the question, or if I'm just barking up the wrong tree.

Any advice on how to proceed would be much appreciated.

P.S. If anyone would like to shed some light for me on how to post equations so that they are more readable than the one's I've posted, I'd be grateful for that as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please show us a little bit more than just an equation which might help. What equations have you tried so far, i.e. which was the tree you were barking at?

For on how to write formulas, you might want to read our introduction:
https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

1. What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a weight suspended from a pivot point that is allowed to swing freely back and forth. It is a classic example of harmonic motion and is often used to demonstrate principles of physics and mathematics.

2. How is displacement measured in a simple pendulum?

Displacement in a simple pendulum is measured as the distance the weight moves from its resting position at the bottom of the swing to its maximum displacement at the top of the swing.

3. How does increasing displacement affect the period of a simple pendulum?

Increasing displacement in a simple pendulum will increase the period, or the time it takes for one complete swing. This is because a greater displacement means the pendulum has to travel a longer distance, which takes more time.

4. Is there a maximum displacement that a simple pendulum can reach?

No, there is no maximum displacement for a simple pendulum. The displacement will continue to increase as long as the pendulum is allowed to swing freely.

5. What factors affect the displacement increase in a simple pendulum?

The displacement increase in a simple pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum, the angle at which it is released, and the force of gravity. The longer the pendulum, the greater the displacement, while a larger angle and stronger force of gravity will also result in a greater displacement.