Solving a Simple Pendulum Problem with Math

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a pendulum and its movement from one side to the other. The solution involves finding the time it takes for the pendulum to reach a certain angle on the opposite side. There is a discrepancy in the calculated answer, and it is determined that the error lies in the evaluation of the inverse cosine function. The correct answer is found by evaluating the cosine function at the point where it is equal to -0.5 for the first time.
Lord Anoobis

Homework Statement

A 100g mass on a 1.0m long string is pulled 8.0 degrees to one side and released. How long does it take for the pendulum to reach 4.0 degrees on the opposite side?

Homework Equations

##T = 2\pi \sqrt\frac{L}{g}##
##x(t) = A\cos\omega t##

The Attempt at a Solution

From the simple pendulum we get ##\omega = \sqrt\frac{g}{L}## which leads to:

##x(t) = A\cos\sqrt g t##

##A = 8.0## and ##x(t) = 4.0## can be substituted directly since it results in the cosine of an angle then:

##\cos\sqrt g t = -0.50##

##t\sqrt g = \frac{4\pi}{3}##

##t = 1.3s##

Which happens to be twice the actual answer. The only possibility for error I see is ##\arccos(-0.5)##.
What I don't see is why. My reasoning was that since we're looking at 4.0 degrees on the opposite side, the angle must be the second point where cosine is negative, ie. ##\frac{4\pi}{3}##. What am I missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to be careful working in degrees.

I think you've identified the error. How did you evaluate the inverse cosine?

PeroK said:
Why are you working in degrees?
Because in this case it makes no difference since the division results in a dimensionless figure.

Lord Anoobis said:
Because in this case it makes no difference since the division results in a dimensionless figure.

Yes, but I'd be careful. It's an easy way to go wrong. If you draw a graph of cos, you'll see where you've gone wrong.

PeroK said:
You need to be careful working in degrees.

I think you've identified the error. How did you evaluate the inverse cosine?
There are two possibilities for ##-0.5##, either ##\frac{2\pi}{3}## or ##\frac{4\pi}{3}##. I took the first figure to equate to 4.0 degrees on the side on which the swing started.

Lord Anoobis said:
There are two possibilities for ##-0.5##, either ##\frac{2\pi}{3}## or ##\frac{4\pi}{3}##. I took the first figure to equate to 4.0 degrees on the side on which the swing started.

Wouldn't that be where ##cos = 0.5##?

PeroK said:
Wouldn't that be where ##cos = 0.5##?
I'm sure that's not the case.

Lord Anoobis said:
I'm sure that's not the case.

Are you sure you're sure?

Can you say where the pendulum is when?

##cos(\omega t) = 1##
##cos(\omega t) = 0.5##
##cos(\omega t) = 0##
##cos(\omega t) = -0.5##
##cos(\omega t) = -1##

(All for the first time)

PeroK said:

##cos(\omega t) = 1##
##cos(\omega t) = 0.5##
##cos(\omega t) = 0##
##cos(\omega t) = -0.5##
##cos(\omega t) = -1##

(All for the first time)
I just noticed there's a typo in my initial post. It's supposed to be ##x(t) = -4.0## That's where the negative sign comes from.

PeroK said:

##cos(\omega t) = 1##
##cos(\omega t) = 0.5##
##cos(\omega t) = 0##
##cos(\omega t) = -0.5##
##cos(\omega t) = -1##

(All for the first time)
I see what you mean here. The pendulum in question hasn't even completed one half of a full cycle. ##\frac{4\pi}{3}## is when it reaches 4.0 for the second time.

1. How do you calculate the period of a simple pendulum using math?

To calculate the period of a simple pendulum, you can use the equation T = 2π√(l/g), where T is the period, l is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What are the factors that affect the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum bob, and the acceleration due to gravity. It is also affected by any external forces or air resistance that may be present.

3. Can you use math to determine the maximum angle of displacement for a simple pendulum?

Yes, the maximum angle of displacement for a simple pendulum can be calculated using the equation θmax = sin^-1(a/g), where θmax is the maximum angle of displacement, a is the amplitude, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How can you use math to analyze the motion of a simple pendulum?

By using mathematical equations and principles, you can analyze the motion of a simple pendulum. This includes calculating the period, frequency, amplitude, and maximum angle of displacement.

5. Is there a specific mathematical formula to solve a simple pendulum problem?

Yes, the equation T = 2π√(l/g) is commonly used to solve simple pendulum problems. However, there may be variations or additional equations needed depending on the specific problem and conditions.