Simple pendulum problem - confirmation

In summary, a simple pendulum problem involves finding the characteristics of a pendulum's motion, such as its period or frequency. To solve these problems, one can use equations involving the pendulum's length, mass, and gravitational acceleration. The period of a simple pendulum is affected by its length, mass, and gravitational acceleration, but not by its amplitude. This concept can be applied in real-life situations, such as in the design of pendulum clocks and amusement park rides.
Elysium
Hi, I got this question:
If a simple pendulum with length 1.50 m makes 72.0 oscillations in 180 s, what is the acceleration of gravity at its location?

Ok, for the period:

[tex]\frac{180\textit{s}}{72.0} = 2.50{\textit{s}}[/tex]

Then I found the pendulum equation that I don't understand well. I arraganged it to find the gravity:

[tex]g = \left( \frac{2\pi\sqrt{\ell}}{T} \right) ^2 [/tex]

Then I plugged in the numbers and got the answer. Did I do this correctly? :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine =)

But do feel free to clarify your doubts with the pendulum equation if you have any ^^

Hi there,

Yes, you have solved the simple pendulum problem correctly. The equation you have used is known as the pendulum equation, which relates the period (T) of a pendulum to its length (l) and the acceleration due to gravity (g) at its location. By rearranging the equation and plugging in the given values, you have correctly calculated the acceleration due to gravity at the location of the pendulum.

It is important to note that the value of g may vary slightly depending on the location of the pendulum, as it is affected by factors such as the Earth's rotation and local topography. However, for most practical purposes, a value of 9.8 m/s^2 is commonly used for the acceleration due to gravity.

I hope this helps and keep up the good work in your scientific problem-solving!

1. What is a simple pendulum problem?

A simple pendulum problem refers to a physics problem that involves a pendulum consisting of a mass suspended from a fixed point by a string or rod. The problem typically involves finding the period, frequency, or other characteristics of the pendulum's motion.

2. How do you solve a simple pendulum problem?

To solve a simple pendulum problem, you can use the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the string, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. You can also use the equation f = 1/T to find the frequency of the pendulum's motion.

3. What factors affect the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum is affected by the length of the string, the mass of the pendulum bob, and the gravitational acceleration. The longer the string, the longer the period. The heavier the pendulum bob, the longer the period. And a higher gravitational acceleration will result in a shorter period.

4. How does the amplitude of a simple pendulum affect its period?

The amplitude, or maximum displacement, of a simple pendulum does not affect its period. The period of a simple pendulum is only dependent on the length of the string and the gravitational acceleration. However, the amplitude can affect the maximum speed of the pendulum as it swings back and forth.

5. Can a simple pendulum problem be applied in real-life situations?

Yes, the principles of simple pendulum motion can be applied in real-life situations, such as in the design of pendulum clocks, amusement park rides, and seismographs. It can also be used to measure the acceleration due to gravity in a particular location.