Simple probability proof about limits

In summary, the conversation discusses the 5th question from Allan Gut's probability course and the attached relevant pages. The participants discuss different approaches for parts (a), (b), and (c) of the question, sharing ideas and asking for help. A hint is given for part (a), involving a sequence of sets and their complements. The sum of a geometric series is also mentioned. The question of whether knowing P(\bigcup Cn) allows us to determine P(\bigcap En) is raised. The participants also discuss part (c) and ask for guidance on how to approach it.
hermanni
Hi all,
I'm trying to solve the 5th question , it's from Allan Gut's probability : a gradute course .I attached the relevant pages.
For the part (a) I think we don't need to construct the sequence itself, but prove it exists somehow.
For the part (b) we need to find an example.For the parts (b) and (c) , I really don't have an idea. Can anyone help please? Thanx.

Attachments

• page22.jpg
    page22.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 392
  • page23.jpg
    page23.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 384
Physics news on Phys.org
I'll give you a hint for part (a):

Let {En} be a sequence of sets. For each n, let Cn be the compliment of En.

Suppose that P(C1) = a, P(C2) = a/2, P(C3) = a/4, etc. In other words, P(Cn) = a/2(n-1).

What can we say then about P([tex]\bigcup[/tex] Cn)?

Remember that 1/2n is a geometric series. Tell me, what the sum from 0 to infinity of 1/2n? What about a/2n?Also, if we know P([tex]\bigcup[/tex] Cn), then don't we know P([tex]\bigcap[/tex] En)?

Now, try to assemble these facts together!

Last edited:
Thank you very much for this construction :)) What about part c? How can we show such a thing?

Regards, h.

1. What is a probability proof about limits?

A probability proof about limits is a mathematical technique used to determine the likelihood of a certain event occurring within a given range of values. It involves calculating the probability of a certain outcome based on a set of known or assumed conditions.

2. How is a probability proof about limits used in science?

In science, probability proofs about limits are commonly used to make predictions and draw conclusions based on experimental data. They are also used to determine the accuracy and reliability of scientific findings.

3. What are the key components of a probability proof about limits?

The key components of a probability proof about limits include the sample space, the event of interest, and the probability function. The sample space is the set of all possible outcomes, the event of interest is the specific outcome being studied, and the probability function assigns a numerical value to each outcome based on its likelihood.

4. How do you calculate the probability of an event using a probability proof about limits?

To calculate the probability of an event using a probability proof about limits, you first need to determine the probability function. This can be done by dividing the number of outcomes that satisfy the event by the total number of outcomes in the sample space. The resulting value represents the likelihood of the event occurring within the given range of values.

5. What are some limitations of using probability proofs about limits?

One limitation of using probability proofs about limits is that they rely on assumptions and simplifications, which may not accurately represent real-world scenarios. Additionally, they do not account for all possible outcomes and cannot predict rare or unexpected events. It is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of a probability proof before applying it to a scientific problem.