Simple problem on Lenz's Law application using Right Hand Rule

In summary, the problem involves two copper wire loops, A and B, with a magnetic field inducing current in both. For Loop A, the magnetic field lines point downward, while for Loop B, the lines point upward. The question is to determine the direction of the induced current in both loops, with the requirement to specify whether it is clockwise or counterclockwise when viewed from above the table and provide a reason for each answer. Lenz's Law states that the induced current will try to oppose the magnetic field, which can be solved using the right-hand rule. In this case, the fingers of the right hand should be curled in the direction of the induced current and the thumb should point in the direction of the field created by the
Dana327
Hi everyone! I'm trying to work out a physics problem using Lenz's Law, but I'm having trouble with the Right Hand rule, which as I understand is supposed to be used to solve the problem.

1. Basically, there are 2 copper wire loops, Loop A and Loop B. They are lying flat on the table. There is a magnetic field, B, inducing current, I, in both loops. However, for Loop A magnetic field lines point downward and for Loop B magnetic field lines point upward.

The question is:

Determine the direction of the induced current in (a) Loop A and (b) Loop B. Specify the direction of each induced current to be clockwise or counterclockwise when viewed from above the table. Provide a reason for each answer.

2. No equations needed

3. It seems to be pretty straightforward, since Lenz's Law says that current will try to oppose the magnetic field. So I tried the right-hand rule: thumb points in direction of the current, and fingers curl in direction of magnetic field... But I'm confusing myself, since it's the current that's supposed to curl arround, not the magnetic field :confused: The magnetic field just goes up or down...

Please help! I just don't get it :(

Thanks.
-Dana

Physics news on Phys.org
Dana327 said:
It seems to be pretty straightforward, since Lenz's Law says that current will try to oppose the magnetic field.
The induced current will be such as to create a field that opposes the change in the magnetic field.

Did you provide the complete problem statement? I see no mention of a changing magnetic field.

There are several different varieties of the right hand rule I'm afraid. This page may help. http://www.unm.edu/caps/caps-handouts/rh-rules.html In this scenario I would use my right hand fingers curled in the direction of the induced current and my thumb in the direction of the field created by the current. I hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doc Al: I neglected to mention the fact that there was indeed a change in the magnetic field. In the beginning of the problem, the current I generates the magnetic field lines because the switch connecting it to the battery is closed. The switch is then opened and the current goes to 0.

If the current is trying to counteract the change in the magnetic field, then seeing as the field is going to zero, would the current flow in such a way as to strengthen the magnetic field? Then if the field points down, the current would want to keep it that way -- and it would flow clockwise, according to the Right Hand rule that Rooted describes in is post.

Dana327 said:
If the current is trying to counteract the change in the magnetic field, then seeing as the field is going to zero, would the current flow in such a way as to strengthen the magnetic field? Then if the field points down, the current would want to keep it that way -- and it would flow clockwise, according to the Right Hand rule that Rooted describes in is post.
Exactly.

Thank you for your help! I obviously needed a push in the right direction.

1. What is Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law is a physical law that describes the direction of induced current in a conductor when it is subjected to a changing magnetic field. It states that the induced current will flow in a direction that opposes the change in magnetic flux that caused it.

2. How do you apply Lenz's Law?

To apply Lenz's Law, you can use the Right Hand Rule. This involves pointing your right thumb in the direction of the changing magnetic field and curling your fingers in the direction of the induced current. The direction your fingers point is the direction of the induced current, which will be opposite to the direction of the changing magnetic field.

3. What is the significance of Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law is important because it is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that helps us understand the behavior of induced currents in conductors. It is also used in many practical applications, such as generators, motors, and transformers.

4. Can Lenz's Law be applied to all types of conductors?

Yes, Lenz's Law can be applied to all types of conductors, including both metallic and non-metallic conductors. It is a universal law of electromagnetism that applies to any conductor that is subjected to a changing magnetic field.

5. What are some real-life applications of Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law has many real-life applications, including generators, motors, transformers, and induction cooktops. It is also used in devices such as magnetic brakes, which use the opposing force of induced currents to slow down rotating objects.