1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with magnetic induction and finding induced current

1. Apr 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have attached a picture that details the problem. This is my practice test and I have no clue what I am doing wrong. Essentially a loop of wire is moving in constant velocity into a magnetic field. The magnetic field lines are pointing into the page. The problem is asking which at which points is the loop's induced current flowing clockwise and counterclockwise. I do not need the answer for 14 and 15.
    qAKMRWX.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    Lenz Law
    Right Hand Rule

3. The attempt at a solution
    I attempted to use right hand rule, where my thumb points in the direction of the current. I figured out that if you point your thumb in the counterclockwise direction current of B, it will give you an upward magnetic field inside the loop, which is exactly what I wanted. However, I cannot figure out why D is moving in the clockwise position because if I try the right hand rule, it will point inside the loop, the same direction as the magnetic field.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF!

Is the magnetic flux through the loop increasing or decreasing at D?

4. Apr 6, 2016 #3
    Thanks for the welcome! Isn't the magnetic field constant throughout, meaning the magnetic flux is constant? Or does magnetic flux decreases along the X axis even though magnetic field is constant?

5. Apr 6, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How would you determine the magnetic flux through the loop at the instant when the loop is at D?

6. Apr 6, 2016 #5
    From what I understand, magnetic flux is equal to B * A, where B is the magnetic field that is perpendicular to the surface, and A is the surface area. Does this mean the change in magnetic flux between the two halves of D causes magnetic flux to decrease?

7. Apr 6, 2016 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When using Φ = BA at point D, the area A is the area inside the loop where B is nonzero. The region where B = 0 inside the loop does not contribute to the magnetic flux through the loop.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted