Help with magnetic induction and finding induced current

In summary, the problem involves a loop of wire moving at a constant velocity into a magnetic field, where the magnetic field lines are pointing into the page. The task is to determine at which points the induced current in the loop is flowing clockwise and counterclockwise. The equations used are Lenz Law and Right Hand Rule, with the attempt being to use the right hand rule to determine the direction of the current. However, there is confusion about the direction of the current at point D, where it is questioned if the magnetic flux through the loop is increasing or decreasing. The concept of magnetic flux being equal to B * A, where A is the area inside the loop where B is nonzero, is also discussed.
mick5000x

Homework Statement

I have attached a picture that details the problem. This is my practice test and I have no clue what I am doing wrong. Essentially a loop of wire is moving in constant velocity into a magnetic field. The magnetic field lines are pointing into the page. The problem is asking which at which points is the loop's induced current flowing clockwise and counterclockwise. I do not need the answer for 14 and 15.
qAKMRWX.jpg

Homework Equations

Lenz Law
Right Hand Rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use right hand rule, where my thumb points in the direction of the current. I figured out that if you point your thumb in the counterclockwise direction current of B, it will give you an upward magnetic field inside the loop, which is exactly what I wanted. However, I cannot figure out why D is moving in the clockwise position because if I try the right hand rule, it will point inside the loop, the same direction as the magnetic field.

Attachments

• 127e79f0-0428-4d08-8344-9d98718fa51f.jpg
    127e79f0-0428-4d08-8344-9d98718fa51f.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 382
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Is the magnetic flux through the loop increasing or decreasing at D?

Thanks for the welcome! Isn't the magnetic field constant throughout, meaning the magnetic flux is constant? Or does magnetic flux decreases along the X axis even though magnetic field is constant?

How would you determine the magnetic flux through the loop at the instant when the loop is at D?

From what I understand, magnetic flux is equal to B * A, where B is the magnetic field that is perpendicular to the surface, and A is the surface area. Does this mean the change in magnetic flux between the two halves of D causes magnetic flux to decrease?

When using Φ = BA at point D, the area A is the area inside the loop where B is nonzero. The region where B = 0 inside the loop does not contribute to the magnetic flux through the loop.

1. What is magnetic induction?

Magnetic induction is the process by which a magnetic field is created in a material due to the presence of an external magnetic field. This can cause a change in the electrical properties of the material, such as the creation of an induced current.

2. How can I calculate the induced current?

The induced current can be calculated using Faraday's Law, which states that the induced electromotive force (EMF) is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through a closed circuit. This can be represented by the equation EMF = -N(dΦ/dt), where N is the number of turns in the circuit and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of the magnetic flux.

3. What factors affect the strength of the induced current?

The strength of the induced current depends on several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the rate of change of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the circuit, and the resistance of the circuit.

4. How can I use magnetic induction in practical applications?

Magnetic induction has many practical applications, such as in generators, transformers, and induction cooktops. It is also used in magnetic levitation trains and metal detectors.

5. What is Lenz's Law and how does it relate to magnetic induction?

Lenz's Law states that the direction of the induced current will be such that it opposes the change that caused it. This means that if the external magnetic field is increasing, the induced current will flow in a direction that creates a magnetic field that opposes the external field. This law is important in understanding the behavior of induced currents in circuits.