Simple proof of continuity of a metric space

In summary: The Attempt at a Solution(summarized obviously)A) Is it enough to say that we know for each open set that makes up X, there exists an inverse image of that set in Y. Since this is equivalent to continuity, we know f is continuous on X.B) Similarly, we know for each closed set that makes up X, there exists an inverse image of that set in Y. Since this is equivalent to continuity, we know f is continuous on X.C) This is the part that confused me and made me feel like (A) and (B) were incorrect. I saw somewhere that it cannot be extended to an infinite number of closed subsets, but I don
chels124

Homework Statement

Let X and Y be metric spaces, f a function from X to Y:
a) If X is a union of open sets Ui on each of which f is continuous prove that f is continuous on X.
b) If X is a finite union of closed sets F1, F2, ... , Fn on each of which f is continuous, prove that f is continuous on X.
c) Can part (b) be extended to an infinite number of closed subsets?

Homework Equations

The following three are equivalent:
(i) f is continuous
(ii) The complete inverse image of an open set is open
(iii) The complete inverse image of a close set is closed.

The Attempt at a Solution

(summarized obviously)
A) Is it enough to say that we know for each open set that makes up X, there exists an inverse image of that set in Y. Since this is equivalent to continuity, we know f is continuous on X.
B) Similarly, we know for each closed set that makes up X, there exists an inverse image of that set in Y. Since this is equivalent to continuity, we know f is continuous on X.
C) This is the part that confused me and made me feel like (A) and (B) were incorrect. I saw somewhere that it cannot be extended to an infinite number of closed subsets, but I don't understand why. If we use the equivalences from above, why wouldn't the function be continuous? So, I thought maybe I summed everything up a bit too quickly, but I can't find my own contingencies.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll try to help for 1a) first.

Is it enough to say that we know for each open set that makes up X, there exists an inverse image of that set in Y. Since this is equivalent to continuity, we know f is continuous on X.

By your assumption, f maps X to Y. So, an inverse image of f must be a subset of X, not Y(or maybe you did a typo there?).

Hint 1. Try to relate the statement f is continuous on Ui with the statement (ii):

(ii) The complete inverse image of an open set is open

Hint 2. Since X is composed of Ui's, the range of f can be expressed as

[itex]R(f)=\bigcup_i f(U_i)[/itex].

Try to find a sequence of mutually exclusive sets Ai such that

[itex]\bigcup_i f(U_i)=\bigcup_i A_i[/itex], and [itex]A_i\subseteq f(U_i)[/itex].

After that, use Hint 1. Try to continue from there.

Edit: Sorry, I think this strategy only works for countable union of Ui's. Let me think of something else.

Last edited:
b) requires finite union because an infinite union of closed sets is not necessarily closed.

1. What is a metric space?

A metric space is a mathematical concept that consists of a set of objects and a distance function between those objects. This distance function satisfies certain properties, such as being non-negative and symmetric, and is used to measure the distance between any two points in the space.

2. What does continuity mean in the context of a metric space?

In the context of a metric space, continuity means that small changes in the input result in small changes in the output. In other words, as the distance between two points in the metric space approaches zero, the distance between their corresponding outputs also approaches zero.

3. How is continuity proven in a metric space?

To prove continuity in a metric space, we must show that for any given distance, there exists another distance such that any two points within that distance of each other have outputs within a certain distance of each other. This can be done using the epsilon-delta definition of continuity.

4. What is the importance of proving continuity in a metric space?

Proving continuity in a metric space is important because it ensures that the distance function is well-behaved and behaves in a predictable manner. This allows us to make meaningful comparisons between points in the space and make accurate calculations.

5. What are some real-life applications of the concept of continuity in a metric space?

The concept of continuity in a metric space has many real-life applications, such as in physics, where it is used to describe the motion of objects and the behavior of physical systems. It is also used in economics, engineering, and computer science to model and analyze various systems and processes.