Simple Python Debugging with Pdb: Part 2 - Comments

In summary, Python is a high-level, comprehensible, and powerful language that can be used for a variety of tasks.
Mark44 submitted a new PF Insights post

Simple Python Debugging with Pdb: Part 2

pythondebug2-80x80.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Technology news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Mark, how would you compare Python with other similar languages?
Python is in some respects similar to C, but is a language that is significantly higher in level. Without using any external libraries/modules, you can get permutations and combinations very quickly.

A couple of the features of Python that distinguish it from C and the languages that derive from C are the map() function and list comprehension. map() returns an iterator that will apply some operator to one or more lists (depending on the operator). In the example below, corresponding pairs of numbers are multiplied in two lists to form a new list that contains these products, and then the sum() function is applied to the list to add all of the numbers. In short, the one-line body of the dotprod() function calculates the dot product of the two lists that are in its argument list. Lower-level languages such as C will typically use a for loop to iterate through the lists.
Python:
# dotprod.py -- find the dot product of two vectors
import operator

def dotprod(u, v):
   return sum(map(operator.mul, u, v))

u = [1, 2, -1, 4, 2, 1, -2, 6]
v = [1, 4, -1, 0, 1, 1, -2, 4]

ans = dotprod(u, v)
print("Result is: ", ans)
This code displays 41 as its result.

List comprehension is "A compact way to process all or part of the elements in a sequence and return a list with the results."
Here's an example that works with the list [0, 1, ..., 255] and creates a new list with only the list elements that are evenly divisible by 16.
Python:
#list_comp.py -- simple example of list comprehension
my_list = [x for x in range(256) if x % 16 == 0]
print(my_list)
The print() statement displays the list as [0, 16, 32, 48, 64, 80, 96, 112, 128, 144, 160, 176, 192, 208, 224, 240]

I'm sure there are quite a few more differences, but these are just a few that come to mind.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What is the purpose of using comments in Python code?

Comments are used to provide additional information or explanations about the code. They are not executed by the computer and are only meant for humans to understand the code better.

2. How do I add comments in my Python code?

To add comments in Python, use the hash symbol (#) before the comment. Everything after the hash symbol will be ignored by the computer.

3. Can I use comments for debugging my code?

Yes, comments can be used for debugging by providing relevant information about the code and its purpose. This can help in understanding and finding errors in the code.

4. What is the advantage of using the Python debugger (Pdb) over print statements?

The Python debugger allows you to step through the code line by line and inspect the values of variables at each step, making it easier to identify and fix errors. In contrast, print statements require you to manually add them throughout the code to check for values, which can be time-consuming and tedious.

5. How do I exit the Python debugger (Pdb) and continue running the code?

To exit the Python debugger and continue running the code, use the 'continue' command or press 'c' followed by the enter key. This will continue execution until the next breakpoint or the end of the code.