Simple question about differentiation of trigonometric function

In summary, the 2πf comes in front because it is part of the general formula for the derivation differentiation chain rule. When applying this rule to the example given, it is demonstrated that the derivative of cos(2πft) is -2πft * sin(2πft). This shows that when the function inside the cosine is multiplied by a constant, the derivative is also multiplied by that constant.
lioric
20160523_143427.jpg

Explain to me:

Why the 2πf came in front?

I lost touch and sort of forgot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is the derivation differentiation chain rule: [tex]\frac{df(g(x))}{dx}=\frac{df}{dg}\cdot\frac{dg}{dx}[/tex]
Edited by mentor...

Last edited by a moderator:
could you please show me how this works with my example

In your case ##x=t##, ##f(x)=cos(x)##, ##g(x)=2\pi f x## and ##f(g(x))=(f\circ g)(x)=cos(2\pi f x)##.

Another way to demonstrate it is:

##d/dt ( cos (2 * \pi * f * t) ) = ##

## = - sin ( 2 * \pi * f * t ) * d/dt ( 2 * \pi * f * t ) ##

## = - sin ( 2 * \pi * f * t ) * ( 2 * \pi * f ) ##

## = - ( 2 * \pi * f * t ) * sin ( 2 * \pi * f * t ) ##

General formula. Let f'(x)=g(x), then f'(ax)=ag(ax).

1. What is the basic concept of differentiation of trigonometric functions?

The basic concept of differentiation of trigonometric functions involves finding the rate of change of a trigonometric function at a given point. This is done by taking the derivative of the function, which represents the slope of the tangent line at that point.

2. How do you differentiate a sine function?

To differentiate a sine function, you can use the basic derivative rule: d/dx(sin(x)) = cos(x). This means that the derivative of the sine function is equal to the cosine function.

3. Can you differentiate a cosine function?

Yes, you can differentiate a cosine function using the same derivative rule as the sine function: d/dx(cos(x)) = -sin(x). This means that the derivative of the cosine function is equal to the negative sine function.

4. What is the derivative of the tangent function?

The derivative of the tangent function is found by using the quotient rule: d/dx(tan(x)) = sec^2(x). This means that the derivative of the tangent function is equal to the secant squared function.

5. How is differentiation of trigonometric functions used in real-world applications?

Differentiation of trigonometric functions is used in many real-world applications, such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of a moving object or to analyze the behavior of a stock market trend. It is also used in signal processing and in the design of electronic circuits.