Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Simple question about using L'Hopital's Rule to solve limits

1. Jul 21, 2010 #1
    I know L'Hoptal's rule can only be use when you have indeterminate forms and such, but I do not know how to make a limit a fraction sometimes. Take this limit for example:

The limit at which X approaches infinity of (1+[tex]\frac{1}{x}[/tex])X

I make y = The limit at which X approaches infinity of (1+[tex]\frac{1}{x}[/tex])X

Take the Ln of both sides to get

lny = X*ln(1+[tex]\frac{1}{x}[/tex])

which can be rewritten as ln(1+1/x)/(1/x) but how? I get lost in the algebra and don't know how to obtain that.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

x=1/(1/x).

4. Jul 21, 2010 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Multiplying by x is the same as dividing by 1/x (assuming x is not 0).

5. Jul 21, 2010 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

One of the things you learned way back in elementary school was "to divide by a fraction, invert and multiply". Dividing by 1/x is the same inverting to get x and then multiplying:
    [itex]x ln(1+ 1/x)= ln(1+ 1/x)/(1/x)[/itex]

This also works the other way: multiplying by a fraction is the same as dividing by its reciprocal: multiplying by x (which is the fraction x/1) is the same as dividing by its reciprocal, 1/x.

6. Jul 21, 2010 #5
    Holy crap. Thanks guys. It's weird how I forget simple stuff but can do the "calculus" fine.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook