Need help finding the limit of a function

In summary, the attempted solution found that e^x - x^3 > 1 + x + \frac12x^2 - \frac56 x^3 + \frac1{24} x^4 for x \geq 0.
BillyC

Homework Statement

Calculate limit as x approaches infinity of (e^x - x^3)

Homework Equations

ln e^x = x
e^(ln x) = x

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried substituting x = ln e^x and got (e^x - (ln e^x)^3). I'm pretty much lost and this is my only attempt so far.
I'm thinking that this is an indeterminate difference problem, and that I have to use L'Hospital's rule. I just can't to seem to convert this into a quotient. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:

##e^x - x^3 = \frac{(e^x-x^3)x^3}{x^3}##

Therefore:

##\lim_{x\to\infty} e^x - x^3 = \lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{(e^x-x^3)}{x^3} \lim_{x\to\infty} x^3##

if both limits in the right hand side exist.

BillyC said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

ln e^x = x
e^(ln x) = x

I tried substituting x = ln e^x and got (e^x - (ln e^x)^3). I'm pretty much lost and this is my only attempt so far.
I'm thinking that this is an indeterminate difference problem, and that I have to use L'Hospital's rule. I just can't to seem to convert this into a quotient.Thanks for any help you can provide!

What do you think the answer is? It's easier to prove something if you know what you are aiming for. Can you first see what the answer must be?

PS use a calculator or spreadsheet to find what happens to the function as ##x## increases.

The reason this problem is tricky is that, obviously, both x^3 an e^x approach infinity as x approaches infinity. But in this case, not all infinities are born equal. Some are more infinite than others.

If you know that one of these functions is larger than the other, and remains larger, than you know that the whole function either approaches negative or positive infinity. If, on the other hand, the difference between these two functions gets smaller and smaller as x increases, then it's possible the limit converges to some finite number.

First, use this logic and some easy calculations and gut-checking to find what the limit should be, then start looking for how to prove that mathematically.

BillyC said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

ln e^x = x
e^(ln x) = x

I'm thinking that this is an indeterminate difference problem, and that I have to use L'Hospital's rule. I just can't to seem to convert this into a quotient.

Can you show that [itex]e^x - x^3 \geq 1 + x + \frac12x^2 - \frac56 x^3 + \frac1{24} x^4[/itex] for [itex]x \geq 0[/itex]?

Thank you all! This helps a lot. I suppose I just need more experience with natural logs and the number e. When I see problems involving them I'm pretty lost! Thanks again.

What is a limit of a function?

A limit of a function is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a specific value. It determines the value that a function "approaches" as the input gets closer and closer to a certain point.

How do I find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can use different techniques such as substitution, factoring, or the use of limit laws. You can also use a graphing calculator or an online limit calculator to get a more accurate result.

What are the common types of limits?

The most common types of limits are one-sided limits, where the function approaches a value from either the left or right side, and two-sided limits, where the function approaches a value from both sides. Other types include infinite limits and limits at infinity.

Why is finding the limit of a function important?

Finding the limit of a function is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function near a specific point, which is crucial in many real-life applications. It also allows us to determine the continuity, differentiability, and convergence of functions.

What are some tips for finding the limit of a function?

Some tips for finding the limit of a function include simplifying the function using algebraic techniques, checking for any potential discontinuities or asymptotes, and using the properties of limits such as the squeeze theorem or the limit laws. It is also helpful to graph the function to visually see its behavior near the point of interest.