Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple showing inverse of matrix also upper triangular

1. Nov 11, 2015 #1
    I'm trying to show that A be a 3 x 3 upper triangular matrix with non-zero determinant . Show by explicit computation that A^{-1}(inverse of A) is also upper triangular. Simple showing is enough for me.

\begin{bmatrix}\color{blue}a & \color{blue}b & \color{blue}c \\0 & \color{blue}d & \color{blue}e \\ 0 & 0 &\color{blue}f\end{bmatrix}

Can someone explain and show it?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2015 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

You can explicitly calculate the inverse as

##A^{-1} = \frac{1}{det A} \cdot (((-1)^{i+j} det A_{ij})_{i,j})^t = \frac{1}{det A} \cdot ((-1)^{i+j} det A_{ij})_{j,i}##

where ##A_{ij}## denotes the matrix you get from ##A## when you cross off the i-th row and j-th column. ##B^t## denotes the transposed matrix of a matrix B.

(compare: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse_Matrix Sorry, I haven't found an the English version of it.)

4. Nov 23, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The inverse of a matrix is its adjugate divided by its determinant. The "adjugate" of this matrix is
    [tex]\left|\begin{array}{ccc}df & -bf & be- cf \\ 0 & af & ae \\ 0 & 0 & ad \end{array}\right|[/tex]

5. Nov 23, 2015 #4

fresh_42

almost

6. Nov 24, 2015 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Right- I missed a negative sign:
    [tex]\left|\begin{array}{ccc}df & -bf & be- cf \\ 0 & af & -ae \\ 0 & 0 & ad \end{array}\right|[/tex].

7. Nov 24, 2015 #6

fresh_42

I meant (1,3). It has to be ##be - cd## instead as long as I'm not totally confused. But to be honest: beside laziness that's why I shirked from it. I'd have messed it up even more and would have had to perform the control calculation.

8. Nov 24, 2015 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The "upper right corner" of the adjugate is [tex]\left|\begin{array}{cc}b & c \\ d & e\end{array}\right |= be- cd [/tex], Yes, you are right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook