1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Verification of a Group

1. Apr 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine whether the set of rational numbers with denominator equal to 1 or 2 is a group under addition.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Please have a look at the closure proof of part 5. I don't quite understand how ##q/2## implies that the denominator of ##p/q## will be 1 or 2, so I tried to conceive of my own.

Either ##2a+d## is even or is odd. If even, then ##\frac{2a+d}{2} = \frac{2k}{2} = \frac{k}{1}## which is therefore in reduced form and puts it in ##G##. Now, if odd, then the numerator and denominator of ##\frac{2a+d}{2}## have no common factors and is therefore already in reduced form. Because the denominator is ##2##, it is by definition in ##G##.

Is there anything wrong with this proof? Although I gave my own, I would like to understand the linked solution.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It looks mostly fine. But by using ##2a+d## you have not covered the case where both numerators are odd. You need to cover that case as well to complete the proof.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted