Simple Zero State Response Signals Question

In summary: The other terms are transient and will die off.In summary, the zero state response of the output y(t) for the given system with specified initial conditions and input is a steady state sinusoid with a modified amplitude and phase, and transient terms that will die off over time. The transfer function can also be used to find the steady state response of the system to a sinusoidal input.
Hip2dagame

Homework Statement

Let's say I've got simple y''(t) + 2y' + 1 = x(t), with maybe y(0) = 3 and y'(0)=1. the input x(t) is 12cos(20t). Using a laplace transform, determine zero state response of the output y(t).

I know eventually I end up with the Y(s) and X(s) form, and then I have to use the partial fractions crap using A, B, C etc to get y(t). Butt my real question is, since the input is sinusoidal, am I going to get an angular response for this too instead of just the magnitude?

Homework Equations

I know the transformation (using a Laplace Table) for this x(t) to X(s) is 12s/(s^2 + 400), but do I have to use the transfer function to find an angular response too?

The Attempt at a Solution

N/A

Physics news on Phys.org
Hip2dagame said:

Homework Statement

Let's say I've got simple y''(t) + 2y' + 1 = x(t), with maybe y(0) = 3 and y'(0)=1. the input x(t) is 12cos(20t). Using a laplace transform, determine zero state response of the output y(t).

I know eventually I end up with the Y(s) and X(s) form, and then I have to use the partial fractions crap using A, B, C etc to get y(t). Butt my real question is, since the input is sinusoidal, am I going to get an angular response for this too instead of just the magnitude?

Homework Equations

I know the transformation (using a Laplace Table) for this x(t) to X(s) is 12s/(s^2 + 400), but do I have to use the transfer function to find an angular response too?

N/A

If your result ends up with both sine and cosine terms, you might combine them into a single cosine term which will have a phase constant. Is that what you mean?

Hip2dagame said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

N/A

Laplace-transform each term in your equation!

P.S. I don't know what "zero state response" means.

A zero state response is the response of the D.E. when the initial conditions y(0), y'(0), etc., are ignored (set to zero) but the driving function is still in place.

A zero input response leaves the initial states alone, but sets the driving function to zero.

gneill said:
A zero state response is the response of the D.E. when the initial conditions y(0), y'(0), etc., are ignored (set to zero) but the driving function is still in place.

A zero input response leaves the initial states alone, but sets the driving function to zero.

Ya live and you learn! :smile:

Hip2dagame said:

Your initial conditions are not zero so this is not a zero state response.

Yes you are going to get the full response. If you go the long root and do an inverse laplace on all the terms (including any you may have introduced due to non-zero initial conditions as above), you will find transient terms that will die off (assuming the system is stable) and that are the characteristic modes of the system and then you will find a term that is a steady state sinusoid for this case with a sinusoid input. This term will invert to a sinusoid of the same frequency as the input but modified by phase and magnitude, just like LTI systems are supposed to respond to a sinusoid.

The quicker way to find this steady state response is to find the transfer function, set s=jw and compute the magnitude and phase response of the system. If you watch closely, this is exactly what you do going the long root to find the coefficient of the laplace output term containing the steady sinusoid. Then your input sinusoid will have its amplitude modified by this magnitude and its phase modified by the phase of the transfer function. But again, this is the steady state term only, which is what you are usually interested in.

1. What is a "simple zero state response signal"?

A simple zero state response signal is a signal or pattern that occurs in a system when there is no external input or disturbance. It is the response of the system's initial state, or the state it is in before any input or disturbance is applied.

2. How is a simple zero state response signal different from a zero input response signal?

While a simple zero state response signal is the response of a system's initial state, a zero input response signal is the response of a system after an input or disturbance is applied and then removed. The main difference is that a simple zero state response signal occurs without any input, while a zero input response signal occurs after an input is applied and removed.

3. What factors can affect a simple zero state response signal?

A simple zero state response signal can be affected by the system's initial conditions, such as its initial energy or state variables. It can also be influenced by any internal damping or resistance within the system.

4. How is a simple zero state response signal used in engineering and science?

In engineering and science, a simple zero state response signal is used to understand and analyze the behavior of a system. By studying the system's response without any external input, engineers and scientists can gain insight into the system's characteristics and make predictions about its behavior in the future.

5. Can a simple zero state response signal be altered or manipulated?

Yes, a simple zero state response signal can be altered or manipulated by changing the system's initial conditions or by introducing external disturbances. However, it is important to note that the response will still be dependent on the system's initial state and characteristics, and any changes made may affect the system's overall behavior.