Simplification of Cross Product Expression

In summary, the conversation discusses how to simplify the expression (au + bv) x (cu + dv) where a, b, c, d are scalars and u, v are vectors. The correct method is to use the FOIL method, just like expanding a product of two binomials, and paying attention to the order of the factors. The final simplified expression is ad(u X v) + bc(v X u) or ad(u X v) - bc(u X v) depending on the order of the vectors in the cross product.
vg19
Hey,

I have the following question,

Simplify
(au + bv) x (cu + dv) where a,b,c,d are scalars and u,v are vectors.

I know that we can take ab ab and cd outside to make the expression
ab(u +v) x cd(u + v) but I am unsure on where to go from here.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't really know how you should go about simplifying this expression yet, but I do believe your first step is wrong.

See, the way you factored it, when you expand it again the expression would be : (abu + abv) x (cdu + cdv)

You can't take ab outside (or cd outside), as you have done.
Instead, use the "FOIL" method, as you would for expanding out the ordinary product of two binomials (a+b)*(c+d). When doing this with the cross product, you have to keep order of the factors.

What would you do if u and v were just numbers, and the cross product was just ordinary multiplication?

Can't you do most of the same thing in exactly the same way with cross products? (yes -- but you will have to pay attention to what won't work)

Hmm. I thought of something else. Is this right?

(au+bv) X (cu+dv)
= (au X cu) + (au X dv) + (bv X cu) +(bv X dv)
= 0 + ad(u X v) + bc(u X v) + 0
= ad(u X v) + bc(u X v)

almost... can you justify the second equal sign?

It would just be any vector crossed by itself gives 0. u X u = 0 and v X v = 0.

For the last line, can it be further simplified to

abcd(u X v)?

or should it remain ad(u X v) + bc(u X v)?

Thanks again

Is the second term bc(u X v)?

ohh bc(v X u)

So,

ad(u X v) + bc(v X u)

or

ad(u X v) -bc(u Xv) (because u X v = -(v X u) )

Hopefully I am now finally right :)

1. What is a cross product expression?

A cross product expression is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a third vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to represent the direction and magnitude of a force or torque.

2. Why is it important to simplify a cross product expression?

Simplifying a cross product expression can make it easier to understand and work with in mathematical calculations. It can also help to reveal important relationships and properties of the vectors involved.

3. How do you simplify a cross product expression?

To simplify a cross product expression, you can use the properties of vector operations such as the distributive property and the scalar triple product rule. You can also use the properties of unit vectors and the fact that the cross product of two parallel vectors is equal to zero.

4. Can a cross product expression be simplified to a scalar value?

No, a cross product expression always results in a vector value. This is because the cross product represents both direction and magnitude, whereas a scalar value only represents magnitude.

5. Are there any special cases when simplifying a cross product expression?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when simplifying cross product expressions. These include the cross product of two parallel vectors (resulting in a zero vector), the cross product of two perpendicular vectors (resulting in a vector with magnitude equal to the product of the magnitudes of the original vectors), and the cross product of a vector with itself (resulting in a zero vector).