• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Simplify Fraction with same term in Num and Dem, but.

• Thread starter zKarp
  • Start date

Homework Statement

I'm having a brain fart, how do you factor/simplify a fraction such as [itex]\frac{ab}{ab+cd}[/itex]
I keep thinking multiply by ab-bc but I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

I'm having a brain fart, how do you factor/simplify a fraction such as [itex]\frac{ab}{ab+bc}[/itex]
I keep thinking multiply by ab-bc but I'm not sure.
Uh, the terms in the denominator have common factor b. Why don't you factor it out?

Uh, the terms in the denominator have common factor b. Why don't you factor it out?
I'm sorry I miss typed it after using latex format. It's suppose to be DC not BC.

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm sorry I miss typed it after using latex format. It's suppose to be DC not BC.
Then I don't think there is any form that is terribly much simpler than what you written. You can change the form, like to 1/(1+(cd)/(ab)), but I don't think the alternate forms are much simpler.

Then I don't think there is any form that is terribly much simpler than what you written. You can change the form, like to 1/(1+(cd)/(ab)), but I don't think the alternate forms are much simpler.
Thank you! This actually does. I should of stated I'm doing transfer functions for circuit design and thats the type of form desired. Thank you!

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Thank you! This actually does. I should of stated I'm doing transfer functions for circuit design and thats the type of form desired. Thank you!
Ok, so I helped by accident. You're welcome!