Equation Involving Complex Fraction

In summary, my attempt at this problem was to first multiply all terms by ab, thus getting rid of the fractions in the denominator on the right. I was then left with the equation fab=ab/(b+a), so I multiplied each side by (b+a), the equation now looks like (b+a)fab=ab, I then divided by ab, and was left with f(b+a)=1, I then dived by f , and subtract b, and am left with; a=1-b/f. Now, the correct answer, according to my textbook, is a =bf/b-f.
GabeN

Homework Statement

Solve the formula f=1/1/a+1/b for a in terms of b and f.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at this problem was to first multiply all terms by ab, thus getting rid of the fractions in the denominator on the right. I was then left with the equation fab=ab/(b+a), so I multiplied each side by (b+a), the equation now looks like (b+a)fab=ab, I then divided by ab, and was left with f(b+a)=1, I then dived by f , and subtract b, and am left with; a=1-b/f. Now, the correct answer, according to my textbook, is a =bf/b-f. All I can find on the internet or in my textbook is how to deal with a an expression containing complex fractions, but nothing on equations containing complex fractions, so I'm at somewhat of a loss as to what I'm doing wrong. Anyway, I appreciate any guidance on how to solve this that anyone has to offer.

Also, an apology for not using Latex. I'm on
my phone, and it looked as if it doesn't work on phones. I tried my best to be as clear as possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use parentheses to clarify your equation, if you can't use LaTeX. To me it looks like
$$a + \frac{1}{b}.$$
or maybe
$$\frac{1}{a} + \frac{1}{b}.$$

Sorry, let me retry that: f=1/[(1/a)+(1/b)]. I hope that makes a little more sense.

GabeN said:
My attempt at this problem was to first multiply all terms by ab,
You should not multiply "all terms" by ab.
You can multiply each side of the equality by ab; or you can multiply the numerator and denominator of the fraction by ab.

haruspex said:
You should not multiply "all terms" by ab.
You can multiply each side of the equality by ab; or you can multiply the numerator and denominator of the fraction by ab.

I described that incorrectly. I meant that I had multiplied the numerators.

GabeN said:
I described that incorrectly. I meant that I had multiplied the numerators.
In order to get
I was then left with the equation fab=ab/(b+a)
you would have done what you said you did. You don't get that just by multiplying the numerators each side, or (more usefully) just by multiplying the numerator and denominator on the RHS.

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
In order to get

you would have done what you said you did. You don't get that just by multiplying the numerators each side, or (more usefully) just by multiplying the numerator and denominator on the RHS.

Ok. This may sound stupid, but I was under the impression one could not just multiply the right hand side(what I assume RHS means). I can get on a computer now and I'm going to try using LaTex.

[tex]f= \frac{1}{1/a + 1/b}[/tex]

[tex]ab * f = \frac{1}{1/a + 1/b} * ab[/tex]

[tex]fab = \frac{ab}{b+a}[/tex]

[tex]fab{(b+a)} = ab[/tex]

[tex] \frac{f(b+a)ab}{ab} = \frac{ab}{ab} = f{(b + a)} = 1[/tex]

[tex] a = \frac{1}{f} - b[/tex]

That's what I came up with. It looks horribly wrong even as I type it, yet, for some I reason can't quite think of another way to do this.

Last edited:
Is ##\frac{1}{2}*3=\frac{1*3}{2*3}=\frac{3}{6}=\frac{1}{2}##, or is ##\frac{1}{2}*3=\frac{1*3}{2}=\frac{3}{2}##?

Likes 1 person
gopher_p said:
Is ##\frac{1}{2}*3=\frac{1*3}{2*3}=\frac{3}{6}=\frac{1}{2}##, or is ##\frac{1}{2}*3=\frac{1*3}{2}=\frac{3}{2}##?

This is where I was getting confused. I'm aware that 3=3/1, I just haven't seen how I could multiply away the denominator of a denominator. Does this look right as the next step, as it seems like the only other logical way I can think of.

[tex]\frac{1}{ab} • f = \frac{1}{1/a + 1/b} • \frac{1}{ab} = \frac{f}{ab} = \frac{1}{b + a}[/tex]

Last edited:
[tex] \frac{1}{ab} • f = \frac{1}{1/a + 1/b} • \frac{1}{ab} = ab = fb + fa = ab - fa= a{(b-f)} =fb =a = \frac{fb}{b-f}[/tex]

I feel like a total dunce. I used the advice given, which should have been obvious to me, and multiplied by 1/ab, which of course gave the correct answer. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

GabeN said:
[tex]ab * f = \frac{1}{1/a + 1/b} * ab[/tex]

[tex]fab = \frac{ab}{b+a}[/tex]
This is the faulty step. [tex]\frac{1}{1/a + 1/b} * ab = \frac{ab}{1/a + 1/b}[/tex]

haruspex said:
This is the faulty step. [tex]\frac{1}{1/a + 1/b} * ab = \frac{ab}{1/a + 1/b}[/tex]

Yeah, I didn't make sense of it until I really thought about gopher's post, than I realized that

[tex] \frac{1}{ab}[/tex]

Is the same as

[tex]\frac{1}{ab/1}[/tex]

Which finally drilled into my brain the proper way to solve the equation for a. Such an obvious solution that somehow eluded me...

Related to Equation Involving Complex Fraction

What is an equation involving complex fraction?

An equation involving complex fraction is an algebraic expression that contains fractions with complex numbers in the numerator and/or denominator. Complex numbers consist of a real number and an imaginary number, which is represented by the letter i. These equations can be solved using the rules of algebra and the properties of complex numbers.

How do you simplify an equation involving complex fraction?

The first step to simplifying an equation involving complex fraction is to find the least common denominator (LCD) of all the fractions in the equation. Then, multiply both the numerator and denominator of each fraction by the LCD. This will eliminate the complex numbers from the denominator and make it easier to combine the terms in the equation. Finally, use the properties of complex numbers to combine like terms and simplify the expression.

What are the properties of complex numbers?

The properties of complex numbers include the commutative, associative, and distributive properties. The commutative property states that the order of addition or multiplication does not change the result. The associative property states that the grouping of numbers in addition or multiplication does not change the result. The distributive property states that a number can be distributed to all terms inside a parenthesis in an equation.

What is the difference between a real number and an imaginary number?

A real number is any number that can be found on the number line, including positive and negative numbers, fractions, and decimals. An imaginary number is a number that is expressed as the product of a real number and the imaginary unit i, which is equal to the square root of -1. Real numbers have a value that can be calculated, while imaginary numbers do not have a real value.

How are equations involving complex fractions used in science?

Equations involving complex fractions are used in science to solve complex problems and model real-world situations. They are particularly useful in fields such as physics and engineering where complex numbers are used to represent physical quantities such as electrical currents and electromagnetic fields. These equations help scientists make predictions and understand the behavior of complex systems.