Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How do I simplify this fraction?

1. Sep 14, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Simplify the following expression by rewriting it as a single simple fraction in simplest form:

LUZVL.gif

2. Relevant equations

not much just factoring and solving for P

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to factor the fractions by multiplying the denominators with the numerators and after much writing on paper I came up with : (p+5)/(p^2-16) , I also came up with : (fp^2+p)/(p^3-16p)

I'm stumped here as to how much I have to factor or simplify or even even I did it right?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2011 #2
    You are right in the sense that you need a common denominator..

Would this help?

5/(p+4) - 5/p(p-2) + 4/(p-4)(p+4)

4. Sep 14, 2011 #3
    it's supposed to be "5/p(p-4)" but I've done it with ALOT of writing, this stuff fills up your page fast doesn't it?

5. Sep 14, 2011 #4
    Well if you got it, who cares? Haha

6. Sep 14, 2011 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It can. But 5/(p(p-4)) isn't right. Putting p=1 in your original expression I get 12/5. Putting p=1 into 5/(p(p-4)) gives -5/3. That isn't right. Is there a typo?

7. Sep 14, 2011 #6
    I don't know dick but I got the answer figured out after doing some more thinking, if you guys want to see a solution just wolfram alpha it.. I didn't do it that way though..

8. Sep 15, 2011 #7

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Well I hope you didn't get 5/(p(p-4)) as the answer, because it's not right!

9. Sep 15, 2011 #8

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Lowest Common Denominator is [itex] p(p+4)(p-4)[/itex].

Multiply each rational term by 1 using the suitable factors from the LCD,
    [itex]\frac{5}{(p+4)}\frac{p(p-4)}{p(p-4)}-\frac{5}{p(p-4)}\frac{p+4}{p+4}+\frac{4}{(p+4)(p-4)}\frac{p}{p}[/itex]

Perform the needed multiplications for the numerator and look for any further simplifications.

10. Sep 15, 2011 #9
    nono! I said that because somone else wrote the wrong thing and stuff.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook