Therefore 2√5 + 2√5 = 4√5How can I simplify this square root fraction?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Mooija
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simplify
In summary, a surd is a mathematical expression that involves a root, such as square root, cube root, etc. To simplify surds, you need to find the largest perfect square factor of the number inside the root and take the square root of that perfect square. The expression 10/√5 + √20 can be simplified further by factoring out a common term of √5, resulting in the final simplified form of 12√5.
Mooija
Hi
I have to simplify this square root fraction:
10/√5 + √20

The answer is 4√5, but I do not get to that answer.
Please help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Mooija and welcome to MHB. :)

√20 = √4√5 = 2√5

10/√5 = 10√5/5 = 2√5

1. What is a surd?

A surd is a mathematical expression that includes a root, such as a square root or cube root, which cannot be simplified to a rational number.

2. How do I simplify a surd?

To simplify a surd, you need to find the largest perfect square that is a factor of the number inside the root. Then, you can take the square root of that perfect square and move it outside the root symbol, leaving the remaining factors inside the root. For example, in the expression 10/√5 + √20, you can simplify √5 to √(5x5) = 5, and √20 to √(4x5) = 2√5. This leaves you with 10/5 + 2√5, which can be further simplified to 2 + 2√5.

3. What is the difference between a rational and irrational number?

A rational number is a number that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, while an irrational number cannot be expressed as a ratio of integers. Surds, which include roots, are considered irrational numbers.

4. Can surds be added or subtracted?

Yes, surds can be added or subtracted as long as they have the same root. In the expression 10/√5 + √20, both terms have a root of 5, so they can be added together to get 2 + 2√5.

5. Can surds be simplified further?

In some cases, surds can be simplified further by finding additional perfect squares that are factors of the number inside the root. However, in the expression 10/√5 + √20, 2 + 2√5 is already in its simplest form.