1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplifying a solution such that the imaginary number goes away

1. Sep 25, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given a general solution to a system of differential equations:

Y(t)= C1(1;2i)e^(2it)+C2(1;-2i)e^(-2it)

side note: i is sqrt of -1, and the (1;2i) is a 2 by 1 matrix. The idea is to simplify the solution such that the imaginary components go away.

2. Relevant equations

Euler's formula.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have subbed the e^(2it) and e^(-2it) with their appropriate sin and cos counterparts. This is what I have have:

Y(t)= C1(1;2i)[cos(2t)+isin(2t)]+C2(1;-2i)[cos(2t)-isin(2t)]

and so from here, I lumped the cosines and sines together:

Y(t)=[C1(1;2i)+C2(1;-2i)]cos(2t)+i[C1(1;2i)+C2(1;-2i)]sin(2t)

I know I need to introduce two new free parameters to replace C1 and C2 but I'm not sure if I do that now or is there another way? I'm especially stumped as how to rid of the i from the (1;2i) and (1;-2i). Any suggestions are welcome. thanks.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is really just Y=C1*z+C2*conjugate(z) where z is a complex matrix. The condition for Y to be real is Y=conjugate(Y). Putting it all together, don't you just get C1=conjugate(C2)?

4. Sep 25, 2007 #3
    I'm not sure I totally understand. So you're saying I set C1=the conjugate of C2? Or should I do set C1=C2*conjugate(z)?

5. Sep 25, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

C1 and C2 are constants, right? I'm just saying if C1=(a+bi) then C2=(a-bi). a and b also constants. That will cancel all of the imaginary parts. You need to check this yourself. Shouldn't this:

Y(t)=[C1(1;2i)+C2(1;-2i)]cos(2t)+i[C1(1;2i)+C2(1;-2i)]sin(2t)

be this:

Y(t)=[C1(1;2i)+C2(1;-2i)]cos(2t)+i[C1(1;2i)-C2(1;-2i)]sin(2t)

6. Sep 26, 2007 #5
    Yes, you are right. I think I understand it now. So I should set C1=(a+bi) and C2=(a-bi) and the complex matrices will be resolved. Thank you so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?