Simplifying Electrical Mathematics in Certain Scenario

In summary: So in western music the closest you can get to a 1/2 ratio is 11/16.This is not to say that 1/6 + 1/3 cannot be a useful approximation, but it is not the only one.
The W
When I was in school for Biomedical Engineering, while playing with numbers I noticed a pattern while calculating an equation, so I tested it. This is for relatively simple equations but maybe there is a way to incorporate it at a higher level. I would imagine while crunching numbers there may be some benefit. IE a computer calculating these parameters quicker. I can't remember the exact equation it held true for but it looks like it works on multiple equations now whilst using a calculator. This may prove useful in understanding electricity or perhaps even laying out a circuit, but what do I know, I'm just a dumb grunt.

If you are calculating inductance and L1 = 18 and L2 = 36, then the total inductance in parallel LP= 12...which is 1/3 of L2 or 2/3 of L1

This works for Capacitance for calculating the in-series value as well. Basically, if one value is half of the second value, then the value you are seeking is 2/3 of the initial value or 1/3 of the second. This can be thrown around in different ways and proves true in the cases I've tested. Not sure if some one else has discovered it but I just enjoy playing with patterns. Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

How about you post the math for such combinations, and comment on why the patterns you are seeing are supported by the math?

There is a LaTeX tutorial under INFO at the top of the page, click on Help/How-To. It's best if you post using math symbols to make it easier for others to understand what you are saying. Thanks.

Many students notice the particular pattern, 1/6 + 1/3 = 1/2. Unfortunately, that pattern occurs more often in examples and exams than it does in the real world. That is because the invented problems are arranged to have simple integer answers.
It is very rare that two components in a real circuit will have values related by a factor of two. Why?

Firstly, power dissipation or breakdown voltage means that when two similar components are used in parallel or series, they will have identical values.

Secondly, most components are available in logarithmic steps. The common E12 series has 12 values in each decade. Each value increases by 10(1/12) from the last = ratiometric steps of 1.2115; The closest values to a factor of two will be on either side of two, at 1.7783 or 2.1544; So to make two components having a ratio of two you will need to start with three identical components.

The same sort of problem occurs in western music, but then each 12 note octave steps by a factor of two. Each note is therefore a ratiometric step of 2(1/12) = 1.059463; To generate a note with 10 times the frequency of another, the closest you can get is 10.0794;

Likes dlgoff and berkeman

1. How can I simplify electrical equations in a specific scenario?

There are a few ways to simplify electrical mathematics in a specific scenario. One approach is to use Ohm's Law, which states that current is equal to voltage divided by resistance. Another method is to use Kirchhoff's Laws, which can help simplify complex circuits into simpler ones.

2. What are some common scenarios where simplifying electrical mathematics is useful?

Simplifying electrical mathematics can be useful in many scenarios, such as designing circuits for electronic devices, troubleshooting electrical issues, and analyzing data from electrical experiments. It can also be helpful for students learning about electricity and electronics.

3. How does simplifying electrical mathematics save time and effort?

Simplifying electrical mathematics can save time and effort by reducing the complexity of equations and making calculations easier. This can be especially helpful when dealing with large circuits or complex systems, as it can help identify the most important components and simplify the overall analysis.

4. Are there any tools or resources available to help with simplifying electrical mathematics?

Yes, there are many tools and resources available to help with simplifying electrical mathematics. These include online calculators, circuit simulators, and software programs specifically designed for analyzing electrical systems. There are also books and tutorials available that explain various techniques for simplifying electrical equations.

5. Can simplifying electrical mathematics lead to errors?

While simplifying electrical mathematics can be helpful, it can also potentially lead to errors if done incorrectly. It is important to understand the underlying principles and assumptions of the equations being simplified, and to double-check calculations for accuracy. It can also be helpful to have a second person review the work to catch any potential mistakes.