ANSYS Maxwell Impedance Matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses the simulation of three conductors with a peak current in Maxwell and obtaining the impedance matrix for these conductors. The documentation from ANSYS shows a 2x2 matrix for the impedance, but the 3x3 example is not available. There is a question about how to calculate the total resistance and reactance of a single conductor from the matrix, and it is suggested to compare the values obtained from simulating the system with different current sources to identify the different components in the matrix. It is also recommended to compare the results with an analytical calculation to verify the model.
jcesar1029
Hello everybody,

Three conductors are being simulated in Maxwell with a peak current. From Maxwell I extract the impedance matrix (3x3 matrix) of the three conductors. Conductors are placed on top of each other so there will be mutual inductances and resistances. The documentation on the impedance matrix (2 by 2 matrix) from ANSYS is shown here: http://imgur.com/dksxDVT

3x3 example is not available.

These conductors are being represented (Maxwell simulation) as 3 loops. Similar to what is shown in the documentation.

How do you calculate the total resistance and reactance or impedance of a single conductor from the matrix? I was told you add R11 + R12 + R13 (same idea for reactance add across) to get total resistance of a conductor but I believe that is wrong. Reason is because you have two different currents I1 and I2 in these terms.

• The diagonal resistances are the self resistances due to DC component and skin effect as well as proximity effects. The off diagonal resistance is the result from proximity effect currents.

• The diagonal inductance are the self inductance of each coil and the off diagonal inductance are the mutual inductance due to coupling.

Here http://imgur.com/88KNx8a I derived (2x2 matrix only meaning 2 conductors) where each equation comes from and how the impedance matrix is built.

Now I believe the components in Z11 represent the total resistance and reactance of one conductor. Then Z22 represents the total values for the second conductor, and so on for n condcutors.

I cannot find a source to back this up. Does anyone know if what I defined is true? or provide a documentation based on calculating total impedance of a single conductor with mutual resistances and inductance? I cannot find anything online.

Thank you, and let me know if there are any questions.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

If you are unsure of how to interpret the results for three conductors. Remove one current/voltage source and simulate the system as a two circuit system, e.g. current in circuit 1 and 2. This will give you the case as in the documentation, with L11, L12, R11,R12, … ,R21. Then apply current to circuit 1 and 3, simulate and obtain the values, L13, L33 etc. Do the same with current applied to circuit 2 and 3. You will then have all the values you obtained from the simulation with 3 currents in your system. Compare the values and you may identify what is what and what not.

(the above assumes your FEM model is linear)
(also it is a good practice to compare to analytical calculation to verify the model ok)

good luck

1. What is the ANSYS Maxwell Impedance Matrix?

The ANSYS Maxwell Impedance Matrix is a numerical representation of the impedance of a material or structure. It is calculated using the finite element method and provides information about how a material or structure will respond to electromagnetic fields.

2. How is the ANSYS Maxwell Impedance Matrix calculated?

The ANSYS Maxwell Impedance Matrix is calculated using the finite element method, which involves dividing a complex structure into small elements and solving equations to determine the impedance at each point. These impedance values are then combined to form a matrix that represents the overall impedance of the structure.

3. What is the significance of the ANSYS Maxwell Impedance Matrix in electromagnetic analysis?

The ANSYS Maxwell Impedance Matrix is an important tool in electromagnetic analysis as it provides information about how a material or structure will respond to electromagnetic fields. This can be used to optimize designs and predict performance in various applications such as antennas, motors, and transformers.

4. How is the ANSYS Maxwell Impedance Matrix used in the design process?

The ANSYS Maxwell Impedance Matrix is used in the design process to evaluate the performance of different materials and structures. It can be used to compare the impedance of different designs and determine which will be the most effective in a given application. It can also be used to identify areas of a design that may require further optimization.

5. Can the ANSYS Maxwell Impedance Matrix be used for non-linear materials?

Yes, the ANSYS Maxwell Impedance Matrix can be used for non-linear materials. However, additional considerations and calculations may be required for accurate results. It is important to consult with an expert in electromagnetic analysis to determine the best approach for using the ANSYS Maxwell Impedance Matrix with non-linear materials.