Simply cannot get my calculator to give me the correct answer?

• Thread starter Jowin86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculator
In summary, the conversation is about someone struggling to get the correct answer on their calculator for a worked example they did in a tutorial. The equation being used is for damping ratio, and the person is getting a different answer compared to the correct one given in the tutorial. They realize that they may have copied down the equation wrong and need clarification.
Jowin86
Simply cannot get my calculator to give me the correct answer!?

Homework Statement

I'm going through a worked example I did in a tutorial and cannot get the same answer we did in class with my calc!?

Homework Equations

Damping ratio = the square root of E2 / 4∏2 n2 E2

Where E=2.526 n=2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm getting 0.0796 , doing 4x(pie2) and 0.0398 doing (4xpie)2

The answer from tutorial is 0.1971 and is deffinately correct.

I've broken each bit down and worked it out separately and put it into the calc then in the simplified way but still I'm not getting the right answer :(

Physics news on Phys.org

Jowin86 said:
Damping ratio = the square root of E2 / 4∏2 n2 E2
Can you retype that equation, using parentheses as needed. It looks like you have E2 twice.

Yeah that what I've got written down in my notes. Maybe I copied it down wrong?

Jowin86 said:
Yeah that what I've got written down in my notes. Maybe I copied it down wrong?
You must have. You have an E2 in numerator and denominator, which would cancel out. (I doubt that's what was meant.)

It is possible that there may be an error in your calculations or in the input of the values into your calculator. Double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct values. It may also be helpful to try using a different calculator or to ask a classmate or teacher for assistance. Additionally, make sure you are using the correct formula for the problem you are trying to solve.

1. Why is my calculator giving me the wrong answer?

There could be several reasons for this. Some possible causes include incorrect input, a malfunctioning calculator, or incorrect settings.

2. How can I troubleshoot my calculator to get the correct answer?

First, double check your input to make sure you entered the numbers and operations correctly. If that doesn't work, try resetting your calculator or checking the batteries. You can also refer to the user manual for specific troubleshooting steps.

3. Is my calculator defective if it consistently gives incorrect answers?

It is possible that your calculator is defective, but it is more likely that there is an error in your input or settings. Try troubleshooting first before assuming the calculator is defective.

4. Can I rely on my calculator for accurate calculations?

Yes, calculators are designed to perform accurate calculations. However, human error and technical issues can sometimes lead to incorrect answers. It is always a good idea to double check your work and troubleshoot any potential issues.

5. What should I do if my calculator still won't give me the correct answer?

If you have tried troubleshooting and are still not getting the correct answer, it may be time to replace your calculator. You can also seek help from a more experienced user or consult customer support for the brand of calculator you are using.