Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simulating a Fabry Perot Interferometer

1. Nov 17, 2008 #1
    I am making an attempt at simulating interference patterns of a Fabry Perot interferometer.

I have fully derived the transmission function and the coefficient of finesse.

T=[tex]\frac{I0 T^{2}}{(1-R)^2}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{1}{1+FSin^2(\frac{\delta}{2})}[/tex]

Where F=[tex]\frac{4R}{(1-R)^2}[/tex] and [tex]\delta[/tex] = [tex]\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}[/tex] 2 n l Cos([tex]\vartheta[/tex])

n=index of refraction of material between two half silvered mirrors
    l=thickness of material between mirrors

I guess my question is..How does one draw an interferogram from the transmission equation?

For some reason, it just does not click with me on how you can see a circular ring from a difference in wavelength. I don't really understand which of the variables to assign arbitrary values too, and which to graph if you will.

I need help graphing the interferogram in Mathematica. I just want it to work!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2008 #2
    I tried using Density Plot with this equation,letting theta approach zero, and tried varying t and I0 but still no luck.

For some reason, it doesn't seem very common to create fringe patterns digitally, or at least, I haven't really found any good info on it.

Probably help if I'd taken optics.. :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?