1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simulating a Fabry Perot Interferometer

1. Nov 17, 2008 #1
    I am making an attempt at simulating interference patterns of a Fabry Perot interferometer.

I have fully derived the transmission function and the coefficient of finesse.

T=[tex]\frac{I0 T^{2}}{(1-R)^2}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{1}{1+FSin^2(\frac{\delta}{2})}[/tex]

Where F=[tex]\frac{4R}{(1-R)^2}[/tex] and [tex]\delta[/tex] = [tex]\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}[/tex] 2 n l Cos([tex]\vartheta[/tex])

n=index of refraction of material between two half silvered mirrors
    l=thickness of material between mirrors

I guess my question is..How does one draw an interferogram from the transmission equation?

For some reason, it just does not click with me on how you can see a circular ring from a difference in wavelength. I don't really understand which of the variables to assign arbitrary values too, and which to graph if you will.

I need help graphing the interferogram in Mathematica. I just want it to work!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2008 #2
    I tried using Density Plot with this equation,letting theta approach zero, and tried varying t and I0 but still no luck.

For some reason, it doesn't seem very common to create fringe patterns digitally, or at least, I haven't really found any good info on it.

Probably help if I'd taken optics.. :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?