1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simulating earth rotation and (excess) Lenght of Day calculation

1. Nov 2, 2012 #1
    Hello everybody :smile:,

I'm new here and hope you can help me with this problem. I have to simulate the earth rotation with eulers equations of motion (without external torques at first).

I have given:

Solution of eulers equation without external torques:

[itex]\omega = (x, y, z)' \left[\frac{rad}{s}\right][/itex] (angle velocity vector of earth)

with:

[itex]x = r_{earth} \cdot cos( C \cdot (t-t_0) ) [/itex]
    [itex]y = r_{earth} \cdot sin( C \cdot (t-t_0) )[/itex]
    [itex]z = D~[/itex]

Meaning:
    • C is a constant dependent on z (is also constant)
    • D is constant in case of no external torques
    • ω is a time dependent vector. I have many ω (e.g. every minute for a whole year). So every minute I have a new ω.
    • ΩN is the nominal earth rotation rate (which I am not sure how to calculate, I have taken 2*PI/(24*60*60)).
    • T is the period of the day in s (24*60*60).

With every new ω (I think I have to take this ω but I am not sure!?) and formular:

[itex]\Delta LOD = \frac{(\Omega^N - \omega) \cdot T}{\Omega^N} [/itex]

I have to calculate the LOD (so every minute a new one).

My problem is, that ω is a vector and not a scalar to calculate the LOD. In this special case (without torques), LOD should be constant I think.

Questions
    • I think, without external torques the LOD is constant, right?
    • Can I calculate ΩN or should I use 2∏/(60*60*60) or should I take this constant from the internet?
    • How can I calculate the ω in LOD formular? I tried to calculate the distance (sqrt(x²+y²+z²)), but I think this is the wrong way to solve this.

Ideas
    • I can look, when ω has turned around 2∏? That would be one day. Then calculate how long it takes for one sec and use this result in the LOD calculation for ω. But how can I realize that with the stuff I've given? Or is this idea stupid?

Please help me :confused:.

Best regards!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2012 #2
    Ok, found the mistake after controlling several times all equations. There was an error in my calculation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook