Simultaneous equations are missing some solutions

In summary, a problem on finding minima, maxima, and saddle points in multi-variable functions involves solving the differential equations y^{3}+3x^{2}y-y=0 and x^{3}+3y^{2}x-x=0. Dividing these equations by y and x, respectively, yields the solutions x=0.5 y=0.5, x=0.5 y=-0.5, x=-0.5 y=0.5, and x=-0.5 y=-0.5. However, the book mentions additional solutions including x=0 y=0, x=0 y=1, x=0 y=-1, x=1 y=0,
Koldstream
Hey everyone!

Homework Statement

This is part of a question on finding minima,maxima and saddle points in multi variable functions.

In this section i need to solve the differential equations:

[tex]y^{3}+3x^{2}y-y[/tex] [1]
[tex]x^{3}+3y^{2}x-x[/tex] [2]

Homework Equations

---

The Attempt at a Solution

i divide [1] through by y and [2] through by x.

In doing so i am pretty sure i am losing a solution, but i don't know how to solve it in any other way.

Doing this however is get:

x=0.5 y=0.5
x=0.5 y=-0.5
x=-0.5 y=0.5
x=-0.5 y=-0.5

The book says these are correct however it also mentions these solutions:

x=0 y=0
x=0 y=1
x=0 y=-1
x=1 y=0
x=-1 y=0

I suspect i am losing these by dividing through by x and y, but i don't know any other way to solve it.

Could someone show me how to get the other solutions?

Thanks for your time :)

Physics news on Phys.org
As you have written them these do not look like differential equations, for that matter they are not even equations.

The answer to whatever the problem is, which is not clear, probably involves the symmetry whereby the x in the first equation becomes the y in the second and vice versa.

epenguin said:
As you have written them these do not look like differential equations, for that matter they are not even equations.

The answer to whatever the problem is, which is not clear, probably involves the symmetry whereby the x in the first equation becomes the y in the second and vice versa.

sorry i am tired

i mean:

[tex]
y^{3}+3x^{2}y-y=0
[/tex]

[tex]
x^{3}+3y^{2}x-x=0
[/tex]

They are not supposed to be differential equations this is just part of the problem.

if you divide [itex] y^3 + 3x^2y + y = 0 [/itex] by y you really factor it into

[itex] y (y^2 + 3x^2 + 1) = 0 [/itex] this is true if

[itex] y^2 + 3x^2 + 1 = 0 [/itex] or y = 0

willem2 said:
if you divide [itex] y^3 + 3x^2y + y = 0 [/itex] by y you really factor it into

[itex] y (y^2 + 3x^2 + 1) = 0 [/itex] this is true if

[itex] y^2 + 3x^2 + 1 = 0 [/itex] or y = 0

then why does this method not yield all the solutions :(

Koldstream said:
then why does this method not yield all the solutions :(

It does yield all the solutions. If you combine y = 0 with [itex] 2^3 + 3y^2 - 1 = 0 [itex]

and also x = 0 with [itex] y^2 + 3x^2 - 1 = 0 [itex]

and also x = 0 with y=0 you get all the additional solutions

willem2 said:
It does yield all the solutions. If you combine y = 0 with

[tex] 2^3 + 3y^2 - 1 = 0 [/tex]

and also x = 0 with [tex] y^2 + 3x^2 - 1 = 0 [/tex]

and also x = 0 with y=0 you get all the additional solutions

Thanks

Ok i think i see that now.

But say we factorise

[tex]
x^{3}+3y^{2}x-x=0
[/tex]

and get x=0

If we then then plug that result (x=0) into

[tex]
x^{3}+3y^{2}x-x=0
[/tex]

we get [tex]0^{3}+3y^{2}\times0-0=0[/tex]

which becomes [tex]y^{2}\times0=0[/tex]

this means the value of y could be anything! How do we know it is one.

(if you put x=0 into [tex] y^{3}+3x^{2}y-y=0 [/tex] it does work)

Logic

if you have ab = 0 then a = 0 OR b=0. Concluding that a = 0 AND b=0 isn't allowed.

If you have two equations

ab = 0 AND cd = 0 you have

(a=0 OR b=0) AND (c=0 OR d=0)

this is equivalent to (a=0 AND c=0) OR (a=0 AND d=0) OR (b=0 AND c=0) OR (b=0 AND d=0)

You can and probably should slog out

[itex] (y^2 + 3x^2 - 1) = 0 [/itex] ...(3)

[itex] (x^2 + 3y^2 - 1) = 0 [/itex] ...(4)

by subtracting one from the other. Then you can factorise the result, then you can see as well as what we have already had, a relation between x and y, which you can substitute to have an equation in only one of them. But when you get the final answer will see what I said above - a symmetry comes into it. Which is, I think, what they wanted you to notice in the first place, and you can perhaps work out, well I don't know that you can in a short time without being shown it once:
[itex] y (y^2 + 3x^2 - 1) = 0 [/itex] ...(1)

[itex] x (x^2 + 3y^2 - 1) = 0 [/itex] ...(2)

[itex] y = 0 [/itex] satisfies (1). That solution leaves you with [itex] x = 0 [/itex] as solution or else [itex] (x^2 - 1) = 0 [/itex], i.e. [itex] x = \pm1[/itex]

Without further ado by the symmetry between the equations you can now say that also [itex] x = 0, y = \pm1 [/itex] must be a solution.
For the totally non-zero solutions for every x/y that satisfies (3), the same value of y/x satisfies (4).

So [itex] \frac{x}{y} = \frac{y}{x} [/itex]

will be in the non-zero solutions. So either [tex] x = y[/tex] or [tex] x = -y[/tex]. So you can substitute those in one of (3, 4) and have something simple.

This does not save all that much work but gives more insight and shows results you get are not an accident. Mathematicians are always looking for symmetries in equations etc., I think they might tell us they do nothing else.

Edit: solving the first way will give you a guide through the cleverer second way. Mathematicians often do that too!

Do not count I have got it completely right, even complete and even right! :biggrin:

Last edited:
epenguin said:
You can and probably should slog out

by subtracting one from the other. Then you can factorise the result, then you can see as well as what we have already had, a relation between x and y, which you can substitute to have an equation in only one of them. But when you get the final answer will see what I said above - a symmetry comes into it. Which is, I think, what they wanted you to notice in the first place, and you can perhaps work out, well I don't know that you can in a short time without being shown it once:

[itex] y (y^2 + 3x^2 - 1) = 0 [/itex] ...(1)

[itex] x (x^2 + 3y^2 - 1) = 0 [/itex] ...(2)

[itex] y = 0 [/itex] satisfies (1). That solution leaves you with [itex] x = 0 [/itex] as solution or else [itex] (x^2 - 1) = 0 [/itex], i.e. [itex] x = \pm1[/itex]

Without further ado by the symmetry between the equations you can now say that also [itex] x = 0, y = \pm1 [/itex] must be a solution.

For the totally non-zero solutions for every x/y that satisfies (3), the same value of y/x satisfies (4).

So [itex] \frac{x}{y} = \frac{y}{x} [/itex]

will be in the non-zero solutions. So either [tex] x = y[/tex] or [tex] x = -y[/tex]. So you can substitute those in one of (3, 4) and have a simple quadratic (nothing particularly nice about the solutions).

This does not save all that much work but gives more insight and shows results you get are not an accident. Mathematicians are always looking for symmetries in equations etc., I think they might tell us they do nothing else.

Edit: solving the first way will give you a guide through the cleverer second way. Mathematicians often do that too!

Do not count I have got it completely right, even complete and even right! :biggrin:

Thankyou! But i still need to study it to convince myself of it totally.

Koldstream said:
Thankyou! But i still need to study it to convince myself of it totally.

Yes that is exactly what you need to do. :approve:

So did I again, there is possibly not much difference between different methods. This time I get four non-zero solutions quite easily.

You mentioned this was part of another problem and probably that could itself be simplified using symmetry.

1. What are simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations are a set of equations containing two or more variables that are solved simultaneously to find the values of those variables.

2. How do I know if there are missing solutions in my simultaneous equations?

If you are solving a system of simultaneous equations and end up with a solution that does not satisfy all of the equations, then there may be missing solutions.

3. What causes missing solutions in simultaneous equations?

Missing solutions can occur when one or more equations in the system are not linearly independent, meaning they can be derived from other equations in the system.

4. How can I find the missing solutions in my simultaneous equations?

If you suspect there may be missing solutions in your equations, you can check by substituting the values you found into each equation and seeing if they satisfy all of the equations.

5. Are there any strategies for avoiding missing solutions in simultaneous equations?

To avoid missing solutions, make sure that all of the equations in the system are linearly independent and that there are an equal number of equations and variables. Also, double check your work to ensure that you have not made any errors while solving the equations.