Since the past week, I find myself depressed,..

  • Thread starter Thread starter siddharth
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    depression
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
33 replies · 16K views
A quick update; and I have a witness. :biggrin:

The week before last, I realized that the pre-allergy depression was hitting, so I started on my Allegra. But I could tell that it wasn't really working and already it was time for full strength Benedryl - this is about a month early. Immediately after starting the Benedryl I began to feel better. This was based entirely on my state of mind with no other symptoms. Two days later it was announced on the local news that allergies are hitting early and hard, and that people with allergies need to start their medications. Within the week I could feel the typical allergy eye irritation starting if I missed a dose of Benedryl.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I am jealous, Ivan! Benadryl knocks me out so quick that If I took it, I'd be out in 30 minutes or so, and I'd be REALLY hard to wake up. I can't live that way. My wife is seemingly very resistant to the narcotic effects of Benadryl and can drink a cup of coffee and go to bed and sleep soundly. I'm not wired that way.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
. . . it was announced on the local news that allergies are hitting early and hard, and that people with allergies need to start their medications. . . .
Must be global warming. :biggrin:
 
turbo-1 said:
I am jealous, Ivan! Benadryl knocks me out so quick that If I took it, I'd be out in 30 minutes or so, and I'd be REALLY hard to wake up. I can't live that way. My wife is seemingly very resistant to the narcotic effects of Benadryl and can drink a cup of coffee and go to bed and sleep soundly. I'm not wired that way.

The first year that I started taking it I spent about a week asleep. Since then it has improved every year. Sometime I can adjust by starting with a quarter dose the first week, then half, etc, if I start early enough. But now - about the tenth year I think - I tolerate it pretty well either way. Even going full dose immediately this year has only slowed me down a bit - a few days of runnning about half speed and a little extra sleep, then I'm okay.